View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: 60 year old Lund snowshoes, would you use them?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline mjh

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
60 year old Lund snowshoes, would you use them?
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:47:48 pm »
So I picked up a 60 year old pair if Lund snowshoes at a garage sale for $35.

I've other wooden snowshoes but not this style (Old Tenth Mountain Division snowshoes) and I think they are at least an 8 out of 10 for condition and quality.

That being said, would you use them on the trail??

If we get enough decent snow this winter I am sure to use them.  I gave them a fresh and healthy coating of new varnish, I have three different bindings I can use with them.  I'm not likely to go far from the parking lot the first few times out, that's for sure.

I'm not much into wall hangers and would like to get some use out of these......we'll see how it goes......

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: 60 year old Lund snowshoes, would you use them?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:23:41 pm »
I would definitely use them... If you are not a collector, and you don't plan on hanging them on the wall I would use them.

Offline Jeff

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: 60 year old Lund snowshoes, would you use them?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:12 am »
I'd definitely use them as well...last year I picked up a pair of bearpaws that I found on Kijiji classifieds...

After I got them home I did a little research... contacted several snowshoe makers in Quebec city...turns out I stumbled upon the grand daughter of the maker...she was rather freaked out...her best guess... after talking with family members is that they were from the 40s or 50s and probably moose babiche...they are in excellent condition...and after a little TLC look like new...

Do a bit of research into them...you never know what you might find out...

That being said...do as I do...take 'em out...but wait until there's a good base of snow... wouldn't want to damage them...but ultimately they were well made back then...and were meant to be used...

That's my 2 cents...

Take care

Jeff