View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: If you could start over  (Read 3825 times)

Offline 410trailrunner

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
If you could start over
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:08:21 am »
Love this forum and reading all the great advice and experiences.

I have recently moved from a Kifaru Sawtooth and small stove to purchasing a Snowtrekker Crew 8x10 and their small stove. I have only really camped to in the fall in the Kifaru and cold camped in early winter. Turning to you all and your experience my question is this. If you could start over from the beginning, what gear would you have gotten in the first place? What would you have avoided altogether?
Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: If you could start over
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 11:07:18 am »
A cheap sled. I bought a Pelican sled from CT. It didn't glide, so we avoided to much travel.

Then I built some long HDPE sleds and it expanded or range.

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:09:53 pm »
I think the best thing I did as you are doing is ooooogle the heck out of this site and one can quickly discern what is or is not going to work for them.....I will say there is no right or wrong just what works for you and keeps you comfy warm safe. So what does or does not work for someone else may be perfect for you. Backyard testing is the greatest means to test ideas without augering into a unsafe situation and I do a LOT of that. Know your gear and how it works is critical.
So far on my winter setup I have no I wish I did this different thanks to this forum/site and all the knowledge present. Just pick through it all wisely to meet your needs and it will all evolve naturally...
ENJOY
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 12:36:06 pm »
I think the best thing I did as you are doing is ooooogle the heck out of this site and one can quickly discern what is or is not going to work for them.....I will say there is no right or wrong just what works for you and keeps you comfy warm safe. So what does or does not work for someone else may be perfect for you. Backyard testing is the greatest means to test ideas without augering into a unsafe situation and I do a LOT of that. Know your gear and how it works is critical.
So far on my winter setup I have no I wish I did this different thanks to this forum/site and all the knowledge present. Just pick through it all wisely to meet your needs and it will all evolve naturally...
ENJOY

Exactly what he said.... You will never know what works for you before you try it. You can't rely/trust  other people opinions, unless you know them and saw them in action.

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 01:23:44 pm »
There are probably a lot of things I could list as I really learned a lot after my first handful of times out but the main two are a sled and a tank bag. Since using the black river sled kit to make my sled and purchasing a tank (with lashing) from lure of the north it has made towing so much easier. The sled pulls much easier and with the tank I have to fears that my load is secure so I don't have to turn around every once in a while to see if anything fell off.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 01:29:12 pm »
Hindsight is 20-20 for sure, but not even then always clear vision or not without tint or bias...

Like the saying goes, don't tell me about the things you didn't do, so try them... and as others have already spoken to, don't be afraid to spend time in safe spots (like your yard, a friends acreage, a campground -  all near your car or house in case you need to bail or bring in reinforcements for any reason) the trial and error side of things tends to be greatly magnified in extreme weather conditions or temps with greater consequences to you.  (and your ego)

And try always to have a buddy or two along once you leave those safe areas behind.   Not only for the safety factor, but the social side of things and the sharing of all the new, heavy and bulky gear that needs to be transported down the trail a piece.

For me, it'd be mostly about gear that I would choose over again.   (and most certainly the age that I started out)
Not from the experience part of it mind you, as I have some wonderful memories (wonderful not always being good, some not so good to plain downright poor and dispiriting...) of making the transition from cold tent camping to shelter w wood stove to finally my first proper canvas tent w stops along the way involving tarps (sorry Chimpac, didn't work for me) Baker style shelters, a too large wall tent, a Snowtrekker where it all first really came together for me and now, a half dozen years since I lit my first canvas tent nearly on fire -checking every winter forecast for snow and cold conditions.

(sharing by) Bringing in my friends, my son and his friends and old cold tent camping and small boating buddies... it's given me new lease and interest in the outdoors and more varied opportunity to get out there.

At this point I have a more sure view of what my needs and interests are, where I have too much stuff in one direction and not enough or (okay, so anyone who knows me is laughing right now and it's sure to come back to me at some point, hard!) the wrong gear for what I am interested in doing more and more...and that was a process.  Often pricey as you know.  But fun, challenging and my wife will tell you just how much $$$ has been involved along the way.

To, all that I say, bah humbug!  Having fun, being out in the woods in any season, what's better than that...?!

(as you'll soon realize, if not already so) This forum and it's members are priceless and hopefully this new adventure will be a rewarding one for you as it is for so many of us. 

Offline lifeintheround

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 06:59:59 pm »
Mors pot, battery powered led strand ligts (not candles), three point reusable rope and wire chimney support, winter sleeping bag ( i use a Wiggys Ultima Thule with down bag on inside), cross country skis for travel instead of snowshoes, wool pants, shockcorded pull ropes on toboggan with a waist belt. Just my two cents.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 07:52:25 pm »
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:26:18 am »
In the far distant past, I started with wool and canvas because that's all that was available, but then synthetics came along with nylon and polyester, hollowfil and quallofil, and nubuck and naugahyde. Like everyone else, I jumped on the bandwagon with both feet, and spent the next quarter-century burning holes, abrading, tearing, and soaking thousands of dollars in high-tech gear, always thinking the next fad had to be better!
Then, I stopped to talk to an old-timer a couple of decades ago, My dad,( how old? his first car was a Ford "model B") and we reminisced about me growing up in a prospector tent with a barrel stove, and the light went on!
Out went the "new" crap, (well ok, I kept some for canoe tripping and city clothes) and back came the wool and canvas, and the smell of woodsmoke in my hair!
I really wish that I never drank that high tech koolaid, and had stuck with my roots! I would have saved 25 years and thousands of dollars! :-[

Offline Wilderwes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 01:17:44 pm »
I've been 3 season wilderness tripping for a long time and I love gear, but am also pretty frugal so I tend to do a lot of research and humming and hawing before I buy something so I don't have too many regrets.

I am new to winter hot tenting though and purchased a pulk sled this autumn in anticipation for winter. The pulk sled is great for what it is and was relatively cheap to buy, but once it actually came time to hot tent with it, I learned that the 60" in length (which seemed pretty big initially) is not nearly enough for all the gear required for hot tenting. I could stack the gear higher, but then the pulk became quite prone to tipping over - which really puts a damper on travel. I am now hoping to buy/build an HDPE toboggan.

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 02:26:27 pm »
When I started winter camping in the BWCA I was in my 20's and we cold camped, hauled everything on our backs with cross country skis. Now I'm in my 60's and I really like my light canvas tent with wood stove. I don't go as far, but am still getting out and having a good time. Light, fast and cold was fine many years ago and if I was that age again it would still be fine. Cold camping is a great teacher, and I have no regrets for those days. We all learn as we go and decide what works for each. Have fun on your path and keep an open mind.

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 05:40:19 pm »
Me too, into the wind.

"keep an open mind"
"cold camping is a great teacher"
"learn as we go and decide what works for each"
"have fun"

I sure second these words!

Especially about keeping an open mind; once a long time ago I only half-listened to an old-timer talk about under-ice beaver trapping b/c I thought I already knew most  of what there was to know ..... then he told me how to check an under-ice trap without chisel or axe, or even getting off your snow-machine - ha!

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 06:34:07 pm »
Irwin rough cut carpenter's saw. Cuts wood almost like a chainsaw: https://www.zoro.com/irwin-carpenter-saw-15-in-9-tpi-rubberwood-2011201/i/G0856755/feature-product?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzrnXk8zn1wIVErnACh2kiweQEAQYASABEgLnEvD_BwE

Comes in lengths up to 24".

Get the 20" or 24" for winter camping.  I've used both and started with the 20" saws and finally found the 24" version of that Irwin Marathon Protouch Coarse cut carpenters saw.  I feel its got many advantages over a standard bow saw of the same length.  Any good quality coarse cut carpenters handsaw should work well for winter camping wood processing.

Cheers

Brian

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 08:56:18 pm »
I've been 3 season wilderness tripping for a long time and I love gear, but am also pretty frugal so I tend to do a lot of research and humming and hawing before I buy something so I don't have too many regrets.

I am new to winter hot tenting though and purchased a pulk sled this autumn in anticipation for winter. The pulk sled is great for what it is and was relatively cheap to buy, but once it actually came time to hot tent with it, I learned that the 60" in length (which seemed pretty big initially) is not nearly enough for all the gear required for hot tenting. I could stack the gear higher, but then the pulk became quite prone to tipping over - which really puts a damper on travel. I am now hoping to buy/build an HDPE toboggan.

YES
 Now I use a sled train of a Paris Expedition plus 2 much smaller green kids toboggans but I really should but the materials to make a proper long skinny sled

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 08:57:10 pm »
Me too, into the wind.

"keep an open mind"
"cold camping is a great teacher"
"learn as we go and decide what works for each"
"have fun"

I sure second these words!

Especially about keeping an open mind; once a long time ago I only half-listened to an old-timer talk about under-ice beaver trapping b/c I thought I already knew most  of what there was to know ..... then he told me how to check an under-ice trap without chisel or axe, or even getting off your snow-machine - ha!

I am guessing speaker wire and a multi tester to check for connectivity?
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...