View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: False bottoms and fire shield  (Read 1204 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: False bottoms and fire shield
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »
Bioguide, I should get myself some of that stuff too!

Definitely the deluxe option, goes very nicely with a Ti stove!

Offline Mercer

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: False bottoms and fire shield
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 05:26:49 PM »
False Bottom:  I currently have a false bottom I made out of sheet metal.  Two pieces with the edges bent down so they resemble long narrow shoe-box lids.  They fit through the door easily and sit side-by-side on the stove bottom.  They fall out when I am dumping out ashes when breaking camp.  I briefly tried using firebricks, but they were heavy and inconvenient.  Kni-Co recommends a layer of sand, but where am I supposed to find non-frozen-solid sand in the winter?  I used my stove for a number of years with no false bottom, sand, or anything else on the bottom at all and it appears to be no worse for wear.

Heat Shield:  I use disposable aluminum oven liner trays.  They are about US$0.99 for a package of two.  I usually bring four with me.  I normally just lean them against the tent wall or against the side of the stove.  If necessary, I can fold them or clamp them together using spring clips from the office supply store.  I also own (and sometimes use) the black fireproof fabric under-the-stove thing that Snowtrekker sells.