View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Norwegian Gstove  (Read 5773 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Norwegian Gstove
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 07:41:53 pm »
$550 is a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Ouch!

Beautiful piece of kit, but expensive. And also on the heavy side.

I paid more than that for my FourDog Ti stove, but it is a lot bigger and a lot lighter...

Offline Chicken Farmer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »
I see on another website that there is a larger version of this stove..............I'm almost convinced that it will be part of my gear very soon

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/tent-wood-stoves-and-accessories/products/portable-tent-wood-stove-heater?variant=2897280139275

That is the people I talked to earlier. I see they've added the XL stove to their website. The stove manufacturer is having trouble keeping up with demand.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 08:37:07 pm »
I see on another website that there is a larger version of this stove..............I'm almost convinced that it will be part of my gear very soon

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/tent-wood-stoves-and-accessories/products/portable-tent-wood-stove-heater?variant=2897280139275

That is the people I talked to earlier. I see they've added the XL stove to their website. The stove manufacturer is having trouble keeping up with demand.

That is a good sign, means it is god quality and well made!!

Offline jimdiane

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 06:40:00 pm »
just ordered the larger stove............ :o............don't tell the wife

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 07:12:47 pm »
I am anxious for a full report when you get it and fire it up. I won't tell your wife if you won't tell mine:)
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 07:28:52 pm »
just ordered the larger stove............ :o............don't tell the wife

I don't think there are any of us on here in a position to cast the first stone.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline koivisto

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 08:02:54 pm »
 :o My wife is happy I didn't see the G Stove before I got my kni-co!

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 08:13:03 pm »
This seems well suited for a small tent/structure. Base camping. The interior of the firebox, is quite small. Cool little stove for the right application, just not MY application......

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 06:26:33 am »

The chimney exit is raised which is opposite to my ideas about trying to stop loosing heat up the chimney. If there is enough draft I want the chimney to extend down into the stove, to draw from as low as possible down in the stove. With a lower pipe entrance the smoke will have to give up heat (cool down) to get out. A tight baffle forces smoke up under the cook top and it is forced to keep moving to a lower chimney exit.
I am a miser when it comes to keeping a small fire burning by adjusting the front draft opening. I want it directed as low as possible on the fire, this can only be done with a vertically sliding feed door. I like to shut the side draft off to make the draft air come in under the fire, to burn any charcoal that may build up. To do this the air supply and space above the grate and below the grate have to be separate from each other. A fire will smoke if the side air is restricted when there is lots of unburned wood in the stove. To keep a small fire going there can be no draft air coming in above the fire which happens with leaky swing doors and draft controls that let air in to high on the fire.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:09:19 am by chimpac »

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 06:35:13 am »
The oven is a separate item, sold to be inserted in the stovepipe. Look on their website and you will see pictures of it: https://www.gstove.no/en/products/pipe-cooking-ovenpremium
 It looks to be a small oven, but interesting nonetheless.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 07:13:07 am »
The oven is a separate item, sold to be inserted in the stovepipe. Look on their website and you will see pictures of it: https://www.gstove.no/en/products/pipe-cooking-ovenpremium
 It looks to be a small oven, but interesting nonetheless.
Which I discovered even before I saw your reply, so I deleted my comment about finding an oven.

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2018, 04:35:09 am »
There are two types of ovens with these G-Stoves
One of the types is inbuilt and takes up some volume in the firebox itself and the other is a stack-robber type which is an add-on.
The inbuilt oven is available in both sizes
But you see these options at the G-Stove website.
It's interesting how we all have different approaches to heating, in my own experiments I have been getting most of the heating effect from the flue not the firebox but my fixed winter camps are very different from yours

Offline FlatbowBC

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 02:48:13 pm »
That is a lot of stove for the money. For motorized back country travel, one of those and a Snowtrekker tent would be hard to beat for luxurious camping very cleverly designed accessory water tank and oven.

Offline oldnick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 04:23:55 pm »
Hi,

friend of mine owns a g-stove. We used it together last year during a trip in Sweden. Temperatures were about -20 °C. Worked well in a small Tentipi (size 5). I like especially the potstands/dry racks, very useful for melting snow in several pots. Another good thing is that it has no sharp edges. everything is rounded or smoothed.
The g-stove is norwegian, that means it is made for transport in a pulk not a tobbogan and for use in a northern tipi-style tent. In those tents the stove is regularly placed in the center and the chimney goes through the top. We can use smaller stoves in this combination because the heat radiates in all directions into the tent and the pipe runs 6-7 feet inside the tent so this heat is not lost. We dry clothes in the top of the tent placed aroung the stovepipe (the centerpole is a good support for racks or hooks).

greets
Nick

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 07:32:41 pm »
I may have to buy one of these so are there any more usage reports>?
It is a lot of money and International shipping has now doubled to $50- USD but my own DIY stoves are not working all that well.