View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Touring skis v.s. tele skis v.s. mountaineering skis  (Read 9217 times)

Offline pablo

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Touring skis v.s. tele skis v.s. mountaineering skis
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 09:25:20 pm »
Regarding a description of the skis mentioned above... The Fischer E99 ski I referenced is a relatively narrow (don't have the specs here), double-cambered, backcountry touring ski with a full metal edge.  It's technically designed more for touring with only mild or moderate downhill, although a truly skilled skier would be able to ski virtually anything with it.

The Karhu 10th Mountain ski is slightly wider than the E99, and is (if I remember correctly) a "1 1/2" cambered ski.  It's geared a bit more for the downhill end of things (although by the overly-shaped and heavy standards of so-called "telemark" gear today, it doesn't seem adequate).  I think it's a great ski... turns well on groomers and powder.

I firmly believe that when driven by a competent skier, these skis will handle almost anything you can find.  It can take a rather lengthy apprenticeship to the telemark gods to become good enough to turn these on the steeps, but it's worth it!  I had a colleague in Steamboat who could rip it up on skis like these using lace-up leather boots and three-pin bindings w/o cables.  The gear marketed today is far too heavy to qualify as "touring" gear in my mind (my friend openly scorned such equipment)... much better suited for the resorts.  These skis both are great for touring, although I prefer my Fischers because they glide much better due to the extra camber.

Offline beungood

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Touring skis v.s. tele skis v.s. mountaineering skis
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 01:45:43 am »
How about the Madshus Eon compared to the above?