View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Mini ice auger.  (Read 2262 times)

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Mini ice auger.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
There's a lot smaller than that-
https://www.theoutdoorsupplystore.com/products/normark-ice-auger-fin-bore-iii-4
Sure doesn't look smaller and w/o dimension it is hard to say if it is or not... The 4" diameter is smaller than the 7" for sure but I think that the one in Bioguide's post is more compact when folded down. But again w/o seing them in person it is hard to tell!!!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »
There's a lot smaller than that-
https://www.theoutdoorsupplystore.com/products/normark-ice-auger-fin-bore-iii-4
Sure doesn't look smaller and w/o dimension it is hard to say if it is or not... The 4" diameter is smaller than the 7" for sure but I think that the one in Bioguide's post is more compact when folded down. But again w/o seing them in person it is hard to tell!!!

Yes, I like how it folds down and telescopes. Here is the description: "Overall 62" length features secondary adjustable height settings of 53 and 44 inches - handle folds down to 25 inch length for convenient compact transport and storage - off-set handle dramatically increases torque and overall cutting power - rugged ultra-sharp hardened steel alloy non-chip blades open old holes and will even drive through sand-laced ice without dulling! - Kit includes universal drill adapter and extension."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:37:33 AM by Bioguide »

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:16:04 PM »
One thing to note from the questions link was that the blades are made in Russia and they don't sell replacement blades. Nice looking unit otherwise.

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 11:18:31 PM »
Oops, i see HT sells the replacement blades, just not Sportmans Guide. Sorry about that.

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but perhaps this question is relevant here:

Does anyone have experience with a VERY narrow auger? I am daydreaming of using this auger not for fishing, but only for accessing fresh water through thick ice. I imagine using a wood processing ax to chop a pot-sized basin in the surface of the lake ice, then augering a 2 or 4 cm (1 or 2 inch) wide hole from the bottom of that basin down into the liquid water below.

I imagine a lightweight, simple "brace and bit" manual auger just like a carpenter's manual wood auger, outfitted with an appropriately designed bit. Perhaps shaft extensions might be part of this kit, too.

The ice chisel or ice needle are wonderful tools, and I definitely enjoy trying to improve my ability toward working down through 90 cm of ice in 8 minutes, as I have seen a 62 yr. old Lake Winnipeg commercial fisherman do when his PTO auger failed. The long chisel can be seen by some as an awkward and dangerous tool to have along when working with students - especially when that chisel might be used only once for a group use water hole.

Smaller & lighter to carry, easier to pack on the sled, and arguably safer to carry and use, a very small ice auger might be worth a go.   

I hope some of you will have seen something like this!  Thanks!

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 11:36:15 AM »
I've used a lot of hand crankers in my life, and I can tell you smaller is better.  When you are going through 3 feet of ice, you do not want to be cranking an eight incher.  Six inches is the standard size for hand cranks up here, but when the ice is really deep, a four incher would be perfect.  It does not take long to drill a hole if your blades are sharp.  With my six incher maybe a minute or two, certainly faster than with a chisel.  A nice light weight auger would be the perfect addition to a hot tenting set up.

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
Undersky, Kovacs makes a 2 inch auger and bit that I use for ice profiling while building floating ice air strips. I use a Milwaukee 28 volt drill which drills through a metre of ice in seconds.

I imagine a hand brace would work but with that it probably wouldn't be much faster than a 4 inch hand auger.

The advantage would be its small size and light weight. The kicker is that a 1 metre length is $175 US and bits are $135. Totally worth it when you're drilling hundreds of holes a day. Not so much for a water hole.

https://kovacsicedrillingequipment.com/mechanical-drilling/ice-auger/

Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »
Undersky

You buy it, I'll borrow it!

I think I will take my 4" anger next trip rather than the ice chisel. I have made  a short ice testing chisel as well and will bring that along for suspect areas.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »
If just making a hole, why not a hand brace and electricians auger bit with extension? I tried that a while ago with differing results. Why a 2"hole and not say a 1/2" hole? I figured for light weight this would be tough to beat but I abandoned the idea. Why? I ddont feel safe on a trip without an ice chisel. It is weight I will deal with. I use mine to check for ice thickness in dodgy looking areas. Id feel naked without a chisel so why bring something else. Besides,  ice fiahing with a 2" or even 4" hole isnt happening.
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »
Wouldn't a really small hole freeze back up more easily overnight?

www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 08:03:22 PM »
It can, of course.

The rate of ice accumulation is slowed if you put a layer of spruce branches over the hole, then shovel snow over all as an insulator. By next morning there will be ice in your hole, but it will be thin, and no problem.

Dave

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »
A few boughs and a foot or two of snow will keep a hole open a long time. Even a small one. Of course, even with snow given time a smaller hole will frreze faster than a large one since ice fishing holes covered in snow freeze in from the sides.
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
Besides,  ice fiahing with a 2" or even 4" hole isnt happening.

Actually, a four inch hole will let most fish through.  If you are after the lunkers, it's a different story.  But the average 1.5 to 2 pound walleye will shoot out of a four inch hole like greased lightening.