View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Karhu XCD Comps?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Johral

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Anyone have experience with Karhu XCD Comps?
« on: December 18, 2017, 10:24:17 pm »
Picked up a pair at a local consignment shop dirt cheap, but really doesn't look like it will fit the bill for any type of Back Country XC.  Almost no camber and really soft.  They do have a metal edge, and I ended up with a set of bindings, but not sure you could glide on them at all.  The wax pocket starts at the toe and goes forward for about 8".  I am a portly 230lbs, but would have thought a 215cm ski would have a bit more support.

Can't find any info on them as they are ancient.  I guess I can shuffle through the white stuff, but that's probably about it.

Thanks,

John

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have experience with Karhu XCD Comps?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:03:30 am »
I don't know abouthte Comps, but the XCD was a really popular ski with bc tourer( not alpine touring, but rolling flat terrain) the camber on these skis is usually a lot softer than you would have on a track ski for the same user, the reason for is that the XCD isn't design to be skied on grooms, so if you have a stiff camber, your ski would be plowing in instead of rising up on the snow of an easier ride. if they are not fish scale, 90% of the time you would use kicker skins underneath  and full skin when needing more traction like for climbing or pulling heavy sleds. I have the Fischer version of that ski, the E99 in 215cm and I live them. I'm a bit lighter than you at 220 but that's new hahaha.

Offline Johral

• View Profile
Comps
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:29:51 am »
So no grip wax - just glide wax and skins?

I am really looking for something to get me back into some areas for winter bird hunting.  I wouldn't call it mountainous or flat rolling hills.  I will be traveling mostly on closed logging roads that can range from flat, to maybe a 15 deg incline (sometimes more).  We certainly have mountains here in NE Washington, but I am traveling the closed roads for the most part.  After I am there, I of course have to ski back to the truck.  I am not looking to bomb down the side of a mountain, just get from A to B. 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:39:04 am by Johral »

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:23:16 am »
Great ski for Telemark Not so good for anything else, but with the right boot you can make them skate quite well
The "Comp" is the giveaway, these were sold for going downhill as fast as possible
"XC" is obviously for Cross Country "D" is for Downhill "Comp" in this instance means racing
They are a very old fashioned ski, meant for getting the most out of soft leather boots; and all leather boots can be considered soft when compared with even the floppiest plastic shelled ski boot

Use the stiffest boot you can find and learn to skate, skating can be a very efficient mode of travel once mastered.
Once you develop the right muscle strength you can even skate up quite steep hills with a reasonable load on your back, I managed 10 to 15 kilos

Offline Johral

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 10:26:16 am »
I would assume that skating on fresh snow of more than a few inches would be a bit of an issue?  For skating I would assume no grip wax then?

I'll probably move them along to someone who can use them the way they were intended.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Comps
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 11:13:13 am »
So no grip wax - just glide wax and skins?

I am really looking for something to get me back into some areas for winter bird hunting.  I wouldn't call it mountainous or flat rolling hills.  I will be traveling mostly on closed logging roads that can range from flat, to maybe a 15 deg incline (sometimes more).  We certainly have mountains here in NE Washington, but I am traveling the closed roads for the most part.  After I am there, I of course have to ski back to the truck.  I am not looking to bomb down the side of a mountain, just get from A to B.

You can surely use grip wax, but kicker skins would be preferable and better in loose snow condition...

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:17:56 am »
Great ski for Telemark Not so good for anything else, but with the right boot you can make them skate quite well
The "Comp" is the giveaway, these were sold for going downhill as fast as possible
"XC" is obviously for Cross Country "D" is for Downhill "Comp" in this instance means racing
They are a very old fashioned ski, meant for getting the most out of soft leather boots; and all leather boots can be considered soft when compared with even the floppiest plastic shelled ski boot

Use the stiffest boot you can find and learn to skate, skating can be a very efficient mode of travel once mastered.
Once you develop the right muscle strength you can even skate up quite steep hills with a reasonable load on your back, I managed 10 to 15 kilos

These skis are far from being great at telemark, especially at 215cm, by today's standard anyway, I learn on my E99 but man it was painful, as for skating forget it, way to heavy and not the right shape, especially in loose snow, I mean all is possible but why?

That ski never been design for downhill skiing racing purpose, Or maybe it was but it was a total flop, never made it to any serious competition or competitors!!

As for boots, for what you will do I would say a Scarpa T4 would be a great choice!!

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 03:20:29 pm »
I used the XCD -GT for many years and the Comp was just a tad softer
Perhaps we differ in our opinions because we face different snow conditions in our ski resorts
The ski is over 20 years old, everything has changed in that time. I would not use them now. Now I use a Karhu "Spire" for Yo-Yo. A modern ski needs a totally different approach to skiing  and I am in the process of re-learning everything

Offline Johral

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 03:59:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  As it turns out, during my attempt find more info on them I found someone who was looking for a pair.  I figured it best to just sell them and look for something that will work instead of hoping these will.

Now to find a BC Trekking Ski that will get me into and out of the mountains.

Thanks.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 04:08:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  As it turns out, during my attempt find more info on them I found someone who was looking for a pair.  I figured it best to just sell them and look for something that will work instead of hoping these will.

Now to find a BC Trekking Ski that will get me into and out of the mountains.

Thanks.

Fischer still make the E99, a bit different than mine, but still a great ski if you ask me.

Offline Johral

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 04:30:24 pm »
I'll be looking at a lot of different options now, since the local used market is pathetic.  Thanks for the help.

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 09:52:50 pm »
You could try the "Earn Your Turns" website I bought my touring bindings thought a feller there
Ideally you want a ski with 3 or fewer seasons on them
 I like my Madshus Annum which replaced the Karhu Guide [ same ski just a different company name] for back country use here other people like the Fishers but the S-Bound rather than the E99, a lot to do with our rolling terrain with the occasional steep bit for fun
A lot of good skis on the market in the last decade but a lot of them need a stiff boot to perform well. If it helps I consider myself an  intermediate skier and I use Scarpa T2 for touring but my Yo-Yo skis need the T-1 Terminator to boss them around