View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Nuway Propane Stove in an Arctic Oven  (Read 1663 times)

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Nuway Propane Stove in an Arctic Oven
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »
At anything -20C and warmer I find a wood stove in the Arctic Oven a bit too hot, followed by too cold.  Hard to create a long lasting fire that's just right in the small stove box that burns low enough for an insulated tent...so, I have gone to propane.  Have a 28,000 BTU NuWay that burns about 1 pound of fuel an hour when full out.  At -20 I get the Arktica up to +10 or so for 2-3 nights on one 20 pound bottle.  If it's warmer I can burn 1/2 a pound of fuel/hour for 4-5 nights.  The thing vents out of a chimney and creates some really steady heat.  It's like staying in a cabin.  When hunting or otherwise busy it allows less time on wood prep.  When it dips below -20 wood puts out way more BTU's but even then is no where as near steady as the Nu-Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn23yjDBZ7E&t=60s

Playing with a damper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUxlKYI_BHw

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Nuway Propane Stove in an Arctic Oven
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 08:55:44 pm »
cool
Your Snowtrekker video was one of the ones I watched before getting my own! 

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:51:55 pm »
The arctic Oven is one warm tent, but so heavy and  bulky we sold ours to get a snow trekker.
I have a few friends that uses theres(arctic ovens) above tree line as base camp in the white and Haines pass or on the Quest trail for Fat bike trip support camps and they use similar stove if I'm not mistaken!!

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 11:56:36 pm »
The arctic Oven is one warm tent, but so heavy and  bulky we sold ours to get a snow trekker.
I have a few friends that uses theres(arctic ovens) above tree line as base camp in the white and Haines pass or on the Quest trail for Fat bike trip support camps and they use similar stove if I'm not mistaken!!

Yup it was a guy in my fitness group here in Whitehorse that put me on to the Nu-Way stove. He uses one in his AO.  The Arctic Oven is like bringing a Yurt.  The Snow-Trekker is 1/3 the weight.  However, nothing is as dry and cozy as the AO , the NU-Way allows for a constant heat that takes the sting out of winter camping.

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 11:00:14 am »
Nu-Way also sells wood-burning stoves: relatively low heat output due to small size, very small purchase price, low weight (8.5 lbs in steel). A buddy has one of the 965 models that he used in his solo tent set-up.

http://nuwaystove.com/product/model-965/

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 07:07:00 pm »
Today for Christmas my wife got me a Kni-Co woodstove for below -20C use.  It should come in handy over the next month or two!  I'll let you know how it works in the AO.

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:13:45 pm »
Here is the Kni-Co..nice set up!  I have made many a wood stove... think I was wasting my time.  Very good work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xCqvSbzLw&t=30s
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:52:18 am by North61 »