View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: To much heat?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Re: To much heat?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 08:40:15 am »
I typically let the stove burn way down before heading to sleep. I sleep cold, and would prefer to be bundled up right away. We live, and travel in an area where there is mostly soft woods, so a long extended burn is rare.

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 10:51:36 am »
Jawax and others have given you the main solution to regulating the stove.  I find that you feel the drop in temperature enough to be comfortable in your bag.  The stove stays warm enough that even when it is really cold (-25C and lower) the pot of water on the stove only gets a thin layer of ice on it overnight.

These little stoves are an art to manage - Undersky taught me the most on one group trip - would have taken me many trips to learn what he showed me the first night.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 11:13:47 am »
Yep, valuable information from all.  Thanks. 

The temps are dropping considerability next week, -14f up in the NY ADK area near lake placid. For my daughters safety I told her that it’s bad timing and to cold for her. She’s 21 , traveled Europe, jumped out of planes and hiked some 14ks in Colorado but the low temps I feel are to dangerous to play in.  I too need to be prepared.   But what do I do if she wants to go?  Oh boy...
Another good thread starter, when to tell the Newbi “next time”.  I was told the before and accepted it and understood it was for my own safety plus the groups. 

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 12:26:35 pm »

The temps are dropping considerability next week, -14f up in the NY ADK area near lake placid. For my daughters safety I told her that it’s bad timing and to cold for her. She’s 21 , traveled Europe, jumped out of planes and hiked some 14ks in Colorado but the low temps I feel are to dangerous to play in.  I too need to be prepared.   But what do I do if she wants to go?  Oh boy...
Another good thread starter, when to tell the Newbi “next time”.  I was told the before and accepted it and understood it was for my own safety plus the groups.

She's 21!?!!? about time you get her out there experiencing the cold. My daughter is 10 been winter camping since she's born down to -25c easy and survived!! Com on, don't turn her down, if something she will teach you a few things!! 

As for the stove damper, The stove I use have a small chimney and I find that use of the damper some what useless... If you have a 5" flue then the damper should be use IMO. As for the chimney thermometer, they are used for creosote indication, not for best use of wood for the situation and are for normal size 6-8 inch chimney not for 3-4 inch chimney(not hat it won't work but) if I want to stove to burn long after I'm in bed I turn it down and if I need to boil water I turn it up I adjust the stove for my confort and the task needed, not what a thermometer tells me I should have the stove at lol. I burn only resins wood, Lodge Pole Pine, white and black spruce, and never had over built of creosote in the chimney, even after sitting at the same place for multiple days!!

Of course your milage may be different, even using the exact same gear as the next one! Experience, trial and error, mistakes, are all part of learning and no matter what you read and what the next person will tell you even if they have been at it for 40 years( I know carpenters that have been at it for that long and still do shitty work), might not work for you!! 

Have fun

Back to your 21yo child lol bring more than less on that trip, hot water bottle goes a long way along with a good thermos full of her favorite drink!!

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 07:41:57 pm »

Have fun

Back to your 21yo child lol bring more than less on that trip, hot water bottle goes a long way along with a good thermos full of her favorite drink!!

That's exactly what I'm afraid of!   She reminds me of myself at that age and I'm a bit worried!   Pay back is a bit-h

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 02:10:51 pm »
  But what do I do if she wants to go?  Oh boy...

I have taken a bunch of folks into the backcountry many for the first time.  Get a good winter camping gear list and send her some links.  But my hunch is based on the other activities she has participated in she probably has done her research.  Know your "go"/"no go" weather minimums or better yet develop them together so she participates in the decision rather than being told no by dad.

I go underwater to 100', would hike above treeline, and will fly a small plane - but jump out of one - no way! That's crazy!  ha ha

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »
Projected temps now -20f for a few consecutive days.  I cancelled my reservations because of the temps.   So I will take my daughter and meet up with friends a bit further south where it will be warmer, -5f!   I know my ability.  A little at a time.  Happy holidays!