View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wintertrekking.com's 2017-18 Fund Raising Drive!  (Read 4504 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Wintertrekking.com's 2017-18 Fund Raising Drive!
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:15:30 PM »
Hi folks.  The membership on the Wintertrekking.com forums is amazing.  It is you participating in the Forums that makes this website what it is. I think of the forums and this website as one big virtual outdoors winter trekking family.  I have a favour to ask of the family: 

For the first time ever, Wintertrekking.com is doing $ donations fund-raising drive. Now under a new business model and ownership, with new funding realities, I will say humbly:  we need a cash injection to help fund the new costs for hosting and new IT services to upgrade and fix several technical issues of the website.  There is a long list of stuff to fix and upgrade to keep us on the air and running.   

I hope to have a website PayPal "Donate" button set up on the website soon for easy donations at any time.  But that will require IT services to set this up, which are not yet on board.  In the interim I am asking those members who would like to donate, to please send a donation via either E-transfer (within Canada), or via PayPal from anywhere. I have set up a new gmail account (see below) linked to PayPal for this purpose.

For Canadians either method works.  For members who use a bank outside of Canada, our E-transfer will not work.  However PayPal works and so I would ask members from outside of Canada, please use the PayPal "send money" function for a donation.

For those without a PayPal account, no worries.  Simply PM me here stating the amount you would like to donate, and I can email you a PayPal "request money" email, and you can make a donation by credit card via secure PayPal software in the email without a formal PayPal account.  These days sending money securely is very easy.   

Donation ask:
-  For a minimum $10 CAD donation, you will get a "Supporter" title under your name for 2017-18.   
- $10 is great, but if you could spare more, $15, $20, $30, whatever, that would be awesome and help us get the upgrades done faster. 
- Low on cash?  Even a single dollar or two will help out. Whatever you can afford would be great.   

Our modest overall goal:  Raise $2000.  That should cover our upgrade costs for the next while and set us up well.  I know we can do it!   :)

Instructions, should you wish to donate, all totally secure:

The new email for electronic money donations is:  [email protected]

1)  For E-Transfers method from banks inside Canada, please send to the above email, and remember first to PM me with the password (E-transfers require the receiver, me, to enter the password you provided me before you sent the e-transfer).  I will use your PM username to update your "supporter" status.   

2)  For using your PayPal account to "send money" method from anywhere, please use the above email, and please include your username in the notes so that I know to update your "supporter" status.

3)  For those not able to E-transfer and/or without a PayPal account, please PM me with the amount you would like to donate, and I will email you a PayPal "request money" email with the secure online payment system using your credit card, and just follow the instructions on the web link in the received email.

For each method you will receive a forum PM message confirming Wintertrekking.com received your donation.
(If I don't get back to you within one day, it means I am out in the bush winter camping, and will respond when I return  ;) )

OK, we have a plan for the first donation drive!  Please keep Wintertrekking.com strong!   :)

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Re: Wintertrekking.com's 2017-18 Fund Raising Drive!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »
Count me in! Thank you HOOP for keeping the candle lit!
The WCS will also be happy to support!

LL
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:24:06 PM by lonelake »
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
Thank you LoneLake!

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »
PM sent...

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
Many fund-raising drives use a thermometer icon to symbolize donations.  As the thermometer rises in temperature, it gets closer to the goal.  Well, we at Wintertrekking.com we don't like rising thermometers outside because that melts winter away.  So we are going to track our progress towards our $2000 fund raising goal by reducing the direction of the thermometer down to -40!

We are starting at a sweltering +40C, 104F.  Far too hot, unsustainable!  :(    We need to get that temperature well below freezing!    :)

First interim goal:  $1000 to get that temperature to the freezing point, 0C, 32F.

Final goal:  $2000 will get that thermometer down to -40!  Oh ya!   

OK, its way too hot in here, please let’s get the donations coming in, and thank you!  :)

Offline NorseScotsman

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
Done!  Happy to support a great website.   :D

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
I sent some $, let me know if you don't get it.  This is sort of new to me.
-M.Raske

Offline jwclever

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Hoop,

I just sent my Paypal donation. Thanks again for all your efforts to keep this community and resource thriving.

Happy Holidays.
Bill

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »
How much do you need to get picture storage for all of out photos?
Do you need this to be an annual payment or will a One-Off do it?
With the current exchange rate I can afford $10-
PayPal payment coming; possible for $25- CAN
Regards
Ted M

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 03:37:04 PM »
OK Mate you just got $25-CAN
Merry Christamas

Offline Getoffthepaved36

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
There, sent a little something to help, know this site doesn't come free or easy so don't mind helping to keep us all together here.  Thanks for the work.

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »
Dual EWCC and WCS payment inbound!
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »
Thank you everyone, the donations are coming in!  :)  Look for the Thermometer going down into the cold zone as I update it about every day or so.

I have a feeling that the credit card payment option for the PayPal "send money" request may not work when I send the request message, because I don't have it set up as a merchant version?  Please let me know on your end if it will not accept payment with a credit card if you do not have a PayPal account.  You can sign up for a PayPal account, but if you would rather not, then please let me know and we'll see if something else can work. 

Thanks,
HOOP

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
To me it is simple: I would not be sitting here today eagerly planning my next winter camping trip if it weren't for you, Hoop.  I'll be setting up my contribution shortly via PayPal.

Offline TZBrown

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 09:33:08 PM »
I tried to do the Paypal for a donation, it asked for a valid phone number.
Not sure why.

I'll try again in a couple of days and see if it works then

Thanks for keeping the lights on, and Merry Christmas
Life's A Journey
It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
My Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/TZBrown01