View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ontario Ice Conditions 2017/2018  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Rosseau

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Ontario Ice Conditions 2017/2018
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:25:01 pm »
I'm searching for information on ice conditions in various parts of Ontario. Specifically information from the Temagami area would be appreciated. I'm looking for safe "early" season routes to head out on ASAP.

I'm hoping that members with information can share it, and in turn I'll try to report here with what I find out.

-In central/NE Ontario/Algonquin/Almaguin/Muskoka we've had frozen ponds and small lakes for nearly two months, but conditions are variable. As of last week the major lakes in Muskoka only just started to fully close up.

-"Freeze up" was called in Temagami on December 17th: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Seasons/Winter/freezeup2017-06.htm

-As of December 29th apparently snowmobiles are running on Kukagami Lake, but I don't know about actual ice thickness/consistency

-Algonquin's lakes are apparently now all ice-covered, but "thin and unsafe": http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2017/christmas_newyears_2017_update.php

-Entertaining video ice reports from Lake Nipissing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bWS71IA8VU

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:16:13 pm by Rosseau »

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario Ice Conditions 2017/2018
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 02:36:24 pm »
I went to Halliburton over weekend,  all lakes were frozen over. Miners bay already had huts out.
on small lake I camped it was 6 inches of black ice and 2" white on top.

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:12:24 pm »
Up here in Red Lake we have 16 inches consistently across several lakes....and we're making ice by the day with temps stable in the mid -20's.....

Yesterday i ran 90 miles through the bush across both trail and lakes.....no worries about safety at all. 

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:54:41 pm »

.......ran 90 miles ?  Didn't know you were in such good shape..................ah, running shoes or snowshoes.

Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 07:14:07 pm »
Up here in Red Lake we have 16 inches consistently across several lakes....and we're making ice by the day with temps stable in the mid -20's.....

Yesterday i ran 90 miles through the bush across both trail and lakes.....no worries about safety at all.

Try Hard Core Sledder forums and search for the lakes or lake systems you are looking for, any local ice fishing forum or even tackle shops may have ice reports.

Harlan - that is consistent with reports from Winterpeg - fishers report 15" on the Red and 18" on Big Windy (aka - Lake Winnipeg) near Balsam Bay.  Anyone have an idea of Ice on Winnipeg River system near Pointe du Bois?  I hope to put a few miles on Sunday or Monday in the Whiteshell - some on trail - some off! 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline tear_knee

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • An Ontario Girl's Journeys to the Backcountry
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 10:53:50 am »
Doug Adams at Northland Paradise in Temagami posted on his website that there's an average of 8 inches of ice on his side of town. Ice huts were to be put out this week. http://www.northland-paradise.com/icefishing.html

We're heading up to Temagami tomorrow for four nights; Iceland Lake area. We were there in early November and the South Tetapaga was completely iced over. The temperature has been in the minus double-digits up there for over a month, so conditions should be much more favourable this year than last.

Offline Rosseau

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 10:04:04 am »
Well, an ice condition thread would seem to be not so useful now given that we've (mostly) had nice cold temperatures and are creeping up on February.

We're just back from a nice few weeks in Temagami and were certainly mostly pleased with the ice conditions. Nice and thick!

After the slight warm up we had last week and the 24+ hours of rain (not fun, we were wishing for the -30s to come back), some of the lakes were a total slush mess... and then they froze into brilliance... no snow, all hard cold ice! Should have brought the skates along! If you're looking to get out in slush-free conditions now might be the time!

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:27:18 am »
Good year for us, three hours northeast of Thunder Bay.  Close to three feet of ice now, very little slush so far!

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:04:16 am »
Well, an ice condition thread would seem to be not so useful now given that we've (mostly) had nice cold temperatures and are creeping up on February.

We're just back from a nice few weeks in Temagami and were certainly mostly pleased with the ice conditions. Nice and thick!

After the slight warm up we had last week and the 24+ hours of rain (not fun, we were wishing for the -30s to come back), some of the lakes were a total slush mess... and then they froze into brilliance... no snow, all hard cold ice! Should have brought the skates along! If you're looking to get out in slush-free conditions now might be the time!
no snow cover at all?

Offline Rosseau

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:51:35 pm »
no snow cover at all?

Yes, that was the case on a number of lakes. Lake Temagami was the clearest of any that we travelled on.

The warm temps + rain seems to have melted and then re-froze the already small amounts of snow present on the surface. Snow loading was already minimal on most lakes, but especially those that run in a general North-South direction as there was 4+ days of high winds (paired with temps in the -30s!). Of course this meant 4' drifts in some locations and much slush in some places before the big melt.

As the lake surfaces refroze the ice boomed and bellowed like I've never experienced. Anybody who was out probably heard this. Constant rumbling and cracking. Amazing!

The picture is from Grey Owl Lake: