View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Clothing list for 3-5 day trip?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Clothing list for 3-5 day trip?
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:50:01 pm »
Hi folks, I'm getting ready for an excursion next month (love the pre plan) and was making a list about clothing to bring. 
Let me set the stage, pulling gear on a 9ft sled, probably over frozen lake, New York State Adirondacks.  Can't even guess the temps yet with this polar vortex coming our way.

So how many "back ups" do you take?   My 10 essentials are now 20, and I'm hoping not to get into the 30's!

I understand the idea of carrying a pack with emergency clothes in water proof bag which will also be left outside the tent just in case.  I was going to keep big down parka, upper and lower base layers, extra pants, fleece, beanie, gloves, socks, possibly vapor barrier socks that was mentioned to me earlier.  Food and waterproof matches and my spare car keys it I want to get home!

How many duplicates do you bring?  I know everyone is different, just trying to find a medium.  I also know that it's a learning curve.  I was out car camping other day with buddies and my clothing gear was spot on. 

I should have also said that I will be hot tenting.   First time pulling the sled, I'm hoping to get out this weekend in the snow and start my huffing and puffing :(
Thanks 

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing list for 3-5 day trip?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:06:14 pm »
Greetings

About the only things I bring, duplicate gear of is fire starting implements and 1 extra days worth of food.  Beyond that it is 1 axe, 1 saw, 1 knife, etc. 

For clothing, I bring extra pairs of wool socks and base layers.  I bring sufficient enough mid layers and 1 outer layer to handle the temperatures I expect to encounter and then give myself a 10C margin of error.  So if I expect -25C temps, I pack clothing for -35C.  My sleep system is rated to -40C.  I hot tent also, so if I am cold while sleeping, I can just stoke the stove every hour as needed (not had to do this yet).  If a critical piece of gear breaks and I can't live without it or make due without it, I will just pack up and leave. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers

Brian
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:55:27 am by brianw »

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:31:49 pm »
For me I use all wool and cotton outer shell so other than dressing for temps I may just bring a extra wool base and for sure some extra wool socks to cycle through.
Stink factor with synthetics may mean extra pieces or laundry while out there.
Personally I would not over think it and just maintain than 10* buffer As Brian states(so that means knowing your gear and how it performs). From there layer accordingly to work load and manage the moisture.

With the hot tent if you do miss or get things wet or...... the wood stove will make it right in short order anyways. So lots of wiggle room there.

Enjoy!!!
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:31:29 pm »
 Here's what I would bring, and this is total clothing so I'm wearing a lot of it, for along the Minnesota/Canadian border:

2 pair underwear
2 pairs light wool socks
2 pairs heavier wool socks
2 sets wool base layers
1 wool button-down shirt
1 light wool sweater
1 heavy wool sweater
2 pairs light wool pants
1 fleece vest
1 down jacket
1 cotton wind jacket
1 pair cotton wind pants

2 pairs light weight fleece gloves
1 pair mittens
1 balaclava
1 brimmed hat with ear flaps that I wear over...
1 stocking hat

Everything on the sled, nothing on my back.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:36:51 am »
I would guess that you take as spares those things that not having would cause you to die.
Personally I don't think you need to change anything but your socks and sanitary layer for up to a week.
So
Gloves Mittens Goggles Firelighting kit and headlamp

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:54:49 am »
I take one extra set of skin-out clothing minus the parka and over pants whether it's a day or a week, + 1 extra pair of socks and gloves as I expect to change both at some time during the day. I wear one pair, hang one pair to dry, and keep one pair as reserve.

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:34:08 am »
I essentially wear/pack the same clothes every trip, with some "sometimes" items depending on weather:

Italics is what I wear out of the car (if I list multiples, I only wear one :)).

Head to toe:
-Beanie
-Big toque
-Baseball hat
-Small scarf
-Sun glasses
-Buff/Chaos tube
-Two wool base layer shirts
-Wool or flannel button down shirt
-Wool fleece
-Synthetic fleece
-Packable down jacket
-Shell
-Wool long johns
-Synthetic Long johns
-2 pairs of ploy/cotton pants (Fjallraven)
-Socks: 3 wicking, 3 light wool, 3 big woolies
-Sorel Caribous
-Spare boot liners
-DIY Cordura moccasins
-Lined leather work mitts
-Lined leather gloves
-Puffy mitts

Sometimes:
-Shell pants
-Extra sweater
-Winter hiking boots

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:57 am »
I essentially wear/pack the same clothes every trip, with some "sometimes" items depending on weather:

Head to toe:

-DIY Cordura moccasins

APPaul, do you have any pictures of your DIY Cordura moccasins?

Cheers

Brian

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 11:26:21 am »
Thanks for suggestions.  Think I am overpacking.  Sometimes those light weight clothes do add up in weight and space.  Trying to get multiple uses out of some gear, example socks used as mittens.  Appreciate the ideas. Thanks.

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 12:34:57 pm »
@ brianw

I do but I will post it as another thread sometime soon with pics and how I made them.