View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Sleeping Bag Colour?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Sleeping Bag Colour?
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »
Is there any advantage to having a dark colored bag vs a light colored bag?  I understand that many sleeping bag companies make the inside color black as it is easier to dry out in the heat...is this correct?  What about the outer shell color?  Any advantages to going with a light vs dark color?

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping Bag Colour?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:44:41 PM »
Doesn't show stain and dirt as much... But other than that I don't think it makes a difference... One thing for sure that if you sleep in a -40c bag that is black inside out make you look slimmer!!!

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:10:28 PM »
I would say dark outside should it need to be sun dried...not that it would dry at minus stupid anyways.
I'm using a white tarp over my hammock and it absorbs zero radiant energy so the tarp never dries  unless air temp/wind is conducive to drying.
Inside a bag should never reach a point of being damp so should never need drying(unless you overheated hugely during the night)
If your hot tenting then I would never concern myself with colour
Cold camping then a dark outside could be a plus
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:57:41 PM »
I always found that inside a tent on cloudy overcast days is made more pleasant with bright/light coloured gear and tent fabrics.  My bag is orange (summer and winter) and it does brighten things up.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:26:54 AM »
Black/dark colours absorb more sunlight than light/white, as most folks with dark cars can attest.  With a sleeping bag I think colour matters if you are putting it out in the sun to dry.  How many of us do that in winter?  If just sitting in the tent, I don't think colour matters at all beyond personal preference. 

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 08:54:17 AM »
Doesn't show stain and dirt as much... But other than that I don't think it makes a difference... One thing for sure that if you sleep in a -40c bag that is black inside out make you look slimmer!!!

Dark colors make my butt look big...

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
Thanks for the input so far...I do like my brighter coloured bags as well.  I'm going to be ordering a top quilt for my hammock and am debating on colours.  I'll be going with a blue and a black, just not sure which colour to put on the inside and which on the outside!

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »
Hello hotelfive:   It is my understanding that the inside of bags are black for the very reason you mentioned in your initial post.  I hope you and your loved ones had a merry Christmas.  I hope you get out for some good winter trips.  Good luck in figuring out the colors with the quilt

Take care,
Cousin  Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 01:18:53 PM »
Would a black bag transmit heat more readily to a cold tent at night that a light coloured bag?

Yes, a black inner would warm up in the sun or hanging near the stove so would assist with dispersing "insensible perspiration" that we all give off during the night.

Pale grey really shows up the slobber stains around the head opening, very attractive!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Yeoman

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Oddly enough, four of my ten sleeping bags have black bottoms, red tops and grey lining.
All different models and shapes by different makers.
Learning: a continuation of the failure process

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
Black radiates heat as well as adsorbs it \ so black is probably the worst colour for the outer for that reason and the best for a liner. I like bright colours for my winter bags

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »
If black radiates heat does that mean it pulls more moisture with it in doing so???? keeping the outer shell drier??

I went white inner black outer for my 0f quilts. Idea being white lets the down do more of its job reflecting radiant heat back to me without getting caught and black outer for sun drying the shell or even faster drying in the hot tent. Not worried about the small amount of moisture on the inner as body heat will keep driving it out but the shell always collects frost

Dunno
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 04:58:55 PM »
I guess we are all guessing without having any real data!

The radiant heat from the black outer would need to heat the air next to the bag for it to take moisture from the bag. It may not do this as far infra-red tends to heat objects not the air.

It may actually be worse if the black surface gives up energy it will cool faster, resulting in more moisture vapour condensing at the shell/air interface.

The white inner won't radiate heat back to you unless you are colder than the bag, might help when you get back in the bag after going for a pee.

Even then as the fabric is a white layer between the down and you it reflects both ways so would reflect IR back into the quilt.

Does moisture move toward or away from the source of warmth when you hang the quilt up in front of the stove/sun? Maybe it just turns all to vapour which all leaves the quilt but some of it may get circulated internally.

My head hurts ???
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline sito

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
I only like bright color sleeping bag since the whole tent is dark. I prefer my gear to be visible.