View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Baffin island cold camping....12 days in April 2009  (Read 8028 times)

Offline katekate

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Baffin island cold camping....12 days in April 2009
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:14:17 pm »

Offline katekate

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Baffin island cold camping....12 days in April 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:18:58 pm »
OK, that photo posting was a test...not sure that I could remember/figure out how the damn thing works...

will be adding some text as time allows

needless to say, it was an amazing trip!

two kids sleds from Can Tire - gear bungy corded on - pretty well - however, the sand and gravel on the last 2 days did serious damage to the sled bottoms, tearing donut size holes - hey, what do you want for $12?

Offline FlatbowMB

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:40:55 am »
Looking forward to the details!

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:39:13 am »
Ditto. Most of us have to be content with vicarious winter experiences for a while.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 06:20:54 pm »

Biggest snowfall in Red Lake this year! It is still coming and looks as though it will drop another 10cm through the night.
Colder is better

Offline Umiujaq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:21:13 am »
Katekate !

So you been trough the Akshayuk pass in Ayuittuq Nat. park (I can see Mt Thor in the picture you posted).

This place is really a trip-of-a-life-time destination !!!

Just one question.....how was the wind  ;)

Looking forward to the details...

Offline katekate

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »
ah yes, the wind....the park warden recommended we not stop on 'Windy Lake' - with good reason! we passed this stretch on day 2, and the winds were light and at our backs - we didn't know that this was the best weather day of the trip! on the way out, the wind was still at our backs but howling - we were having trouble staying up right with ice crampons...I'd estimate gusts up to 70kph.

still working on that trip report  :)  but summer is getting in the way

crazy but I'm going back to Akshayuk pass mid July....

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:55:18 am »
I'd love to see photos and a TR from this and I'm sure so would others.... :)

Offline Umiujaq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:11:38 pm »
crazy but I'm going back to Akshayuk pass mid July....

Humm not that crazy !! I can understand your desire to go back. And it must be pretty different in summer.

And here is a little anecdote about our relationship with the wind when we were there (late march 2006).

We got a snowmobile ride from an outfitter to get from Qikitarjuaq to the entrance of the valley (to avoid polar bear encounter). But at our arrival, the outfitter realized that one ski fell off the komatik during the trip. So he told us that he would try to find it on the way back and catch us two day later. (the owner of the lost ski had also a pair of snowshoes so it was not a big problem).

The two first days were very easy with mild weather -20°C, warm sun and ...... no wind !!!! Before the trip, we had been strongly warned about the strong katabatic winds rushing down the Penny ice cap in the funnel valley. So we were puzzled by this calm weather and saying out loud ''pfff this place is not windy !!!!''  Maybe that insulted the local wind divinity  ;D

So on the second day, the outfitter (an old Inuit hunter raised in the area) meets us as planned with the lost ski. At that moment there was just the smallest breeze. But he took an intense worried look at the horizon and said '' humm, its getting windy !!!'' Then he just gave us the ski, quickly jumped on his snowmobile and disappeared as fast as he could.

At that point we were thinking ''man this got to be a joke !!!''

No more than 15 min later we were setting camp in emergency. We were tent bound four 3 day, spending our time building snow wall.

Later on the trip, same thing happened (at the end of summit lake). One morning, after 3 days/ 2nights of howling, the wind stopped completely just like that. We just had time to pack our gear and start moving to cross the lake....and in a matter of seconds it started again.....stronger.....and in the opposite direction ??? So strong that I could feel it passing trough the stitches of my gore-tex.

But what a nice trip I would go back there anytime  ;D

Offline katekate

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 04:46:31 pm »
hey! summer is over....messing with ideas for winter trips as I sweat the last few days here in S Ontario

so: I've posted a some photos of my APril trip here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/katherine.suboch/2009AuyuittuqNationalParkBaffinIslandNunavut?feat=directlink

here's a taste:

opps, sorry forgot how to paste the image directly here from the above site

as you can see, a good summer  ;)

Umiujaq, I found a similar thing about the wind and classic Inuit understatement - when most people would be waving arms and yellling "holy shit, run for cover" instead you have to listen carefully for the 'hmmmm..." pause then some little question like 'are you warm enough?' or 'are you OK?" or some other trival sounding comment. Perhaps even the direct 'going to be windy soon' - boy, I hear that, I take cover!

the one day with brutal wind, surprise surprise - was at Windy Lake. Luckily at our backs - still brutal and cut through every layer of clothing we had. Can't imagine how you'd walk into it. And this with temp about -12C or so and sunny over head. Blowing sand all over the place, serious erosion issues since last summer when torrential rain fall washed out Windy Lake bridge and exposed 5m of shoreline around Glacier lake. Still unsettled banks which were more dangerous to walk along in summer (in winter we were already at the bottom, being on the frozen river).

anyhow, will see if I can post this photo direct

Offline katekate

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:48:08 pm »

heh heh heh

a bit of wine to lubricate the brain cells and I got it worked out

so: above is Windy Lake - somewhere in that photo is a person pulling a sled - more interesting is that this is a sand storm, not blowing snow

spooky this climate change - what next, elephants instead of polar bears?

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 12:12:03 pm »
Wow!!!!! Awesome pictures. I look forward to more details, including a few about your summer trip.
Cheers,
Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline lyndak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 06:55:02 pm »
Yes, I too am looking forward to the details.

How many hours a day did you hike?
Did you ever get warm?  I mean at night sleeping? 

I love winter and the arctic but this, too me, looked incredibly gruelling! 
I'm impressed that you were smiling in your pics  ;D

Lynda

Offline katekate

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 10:29:10 pm »
OK, here it is Nov - and the furnace is on, the garden put to bed....daylight saving time in effect. Thus: more evening time to blah blah blah! doing a presentation at Snow Walkers Rendezvous in a few weeks, thus will be polishing and posting more photos here as well.

how many hours a day did we hike? hmmm, I'd say about 5 to 6 were actually spent hauling the sled - a few hours in the morning breaking camp, and about the same setting up. Tent set up was the fast part - chipping ice, melting water was what took time.

I'd say the only time I was really warm was when I was in my sleeping bag. And then only part of the night as my sleeping bag was a bit on the light side. So I was sleeping in my down jacket, fleece hoodie, wool scarf, long johns and booties (my feet were always warm however). Actually during the day when we were pulling uphill, I was pretty warm. Fine line between hot and 'sweating' which of course was to be avoided.

The wind put the trip in the 'extreme' catagory. The lowest temp I recorded was -20C and that was at 8am - don't know what the 4am temp would be, perhaps another 5C colder?

smiles were easy - I was having a great time! completely exhilerating feeling - to accept the cold and revel in it. To embrace the winds bite. To just suck up what ever was coming and say, 'my body can deal with this'. Breathing deep and feeling the cold and in a sick way, enjoying it. Weird eh? I don't know - some kind of mental transformation that is hard to describe. I think John Denver called it 'rocky mountain high'. Euphoria?

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 02:17:24 am »
I, to, cannot wait for the photos. I am so impatient for snow and ice I may use my daughters "Old Town" Rush kayak as my drag sled. Prepare for snow plan for water! That definately takes me out of the optimist catagory.  The Black Hills have snow. I know! I didn't get to enjoy it much. More spikes than snowshoes and to long in the crampons!
Living vicariously through others really hurts.
       Here I write and plan for DEEP snow and a couple of good winter camping trips. At the same time I research Kentucky, Daniel Boone National Forest and Mammoth cave for a uniting trip for my wife and new found sister-in-law this summer.
       I love the winter trips more. Fewer people! No bugs! And the folks I do find seem to live and enjoy more of what life has to offer.  Thank ALL of you!
               Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole