View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ice Augers  (Read 2647 times)

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Ice Augers
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:20:52 pm »
Hey all - Typically I try to find camping spots near open streams so I don't have to spend a lot of time melting snow.  At this point I may be able to travel more where there are lakes so I'm wondering about picking up an ice auger.  It's been a while since I last went ice fishing but with the auger I could drill holes for drinking/cooking water and do some fishing if I'm so inclined.

So, all that being said, I'm wondering if others have purchased an auger so they can readily get water or is it more an ice fishing thing?  At the moment I have a gift coupon for Cabella's and they have a hand auger for $50.00 which the coupon will cover.  If anyone has any experience they're willing to share, I'd love to hear it.  While this isn't a major expenditure, I'd be OK with putting the money to other uses if the collective wisdom of the group says this might not be a sound purchase.

That's all for now.  Take care, thanks for any information & insight you can share and until next time....be well. 

snapper

Offline gnatwest

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Augers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:25:14 pm »
I have an ice auger that we used for water on our trips.  I havent really tested out my ice chisel from LOTN.  I will say that for a hand auger smaller is better.  I would go 4 or 5 inch diameter if I was buying one now.  It makes cutting so much easier.

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:25:12 pm »
I usually winter camp for icefishing reason. fresh trout from ice cold water.... what can be better?

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 01:29:32 pm »
I have a hand auger snapper.  There are different blade shapes that make a difference to the performance - you will have to look it up but I have the wrong ones.   Two offset handles are better than the single offset.

Up here an extension is almost a requirement.  Ice chisel for water is pretty quick.  Your arms get tired with the auger once the ice gets thick.  I had to switch off and two people using one auger works better. 

If you can get for $0 - all good.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 04:15:26 pm »
I have a hand auger snapper.  There are different blade shapes that make a difference to the performance - you will have to look it up but I have the wrong ones.   Two offset handles are better than the single offset.

Up here an extension is almost a requirement.  Ice chisel for water is pretty quick.  Your arms get tired with the auger once the ice gets thick.  I had to switch off and two people using one auger works better. 

If you can get for $0 - all good.
looks like your auger got bent. they are gentle things... bump on ice can damage blade offset.
if you decide to get new one, I recommend you finbore type. with round blades, not flat ones.
I don't believe ice chisel can perform faster and less energy consuming then good auger. especially less than 6" in over foot of ice.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 04:50:25 pm »
looks like your auger got bent. they are gentle things... bump on ice can damage blade offset.

Always possible it got bent - but I was ok till the hole passed 24"  then I started to fatigue and the bending down didn't help with body mechanics.  I think the ice was about 30"
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 05:23:50 pm »
Look for a Nils auger. They are very efficient, but a little more expensive. You get what you pay for.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:46 pm »
Look for a Nils auger. They are very efficient, but a little more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Second the Nils... I bring one every trip mainly for water. Ice fishing is second.

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 02:10:17 pm »
Thanks all for your replies and insights.  Looks like I'll see what I can find on the various blade shapes as well as checking out the Nils auger.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 03:03:35 pm »
Nils. They are a bit more expense and you need to handle them with a little more care but it is the best hand auger I have ever used.

Offline sito

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 05:32:17 pm »
Isn't ice auger heavy ?

it must weight 40-50lbs.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 05:39:38 pm »
Wow, I just found out that Nils has a folding version either 4 1/2" or 6": https://www.fishusa.com/product/Nils-USA-Folding-Cordless-Convertible-Auger

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 05:47:13 pm »
Isn't ice auger heavy ?

it must weight 40-50lbs.
[/quote

Why do you just randomly assume that they would be 40-50lbs? This is the internet, you can look the stuff up and that way you save yourself a mining less post...https://www.fishusa.com/product/StrikeMaster-Lazer-Hand-Ice-Augers

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 05:49:31 pm »
Isn't ice auger heavy ?

it must weight 40-50lbs.

Why do you just randomly assume that they would be 40-50lbs? This is the internet, you can look the stuff up and that way you save yourself a mining less post...https://www.fishusa.com/product/StrikeMaster-Lazer-Hand-Ice-Augers

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 05:52:08 pm »
Isn't ice auger heavy ?

it must weight 40-50lbs.

Why are they all dressed up fancy... Really hope they didn't dress up like that just for me!!