View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: suggestion for supper meals ?  (Read 658 times)

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion for supper meals ?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
My favorite meal is pork ribs broiled in a kettle hanging under my wood burning tent stove while a pot of garden vegetables boils in just a bit of water in a kettle on top of the stove. When the vegetables get soft the ribs are usually rendered down nice and brown. I ad some salt and spices and dump the ribs with the tasty fat in with the vegetables. I never pour out any water that the vegetables were cooked in. I like sweet and regular potatoes, cabbage, parsnips, carrots, onions, squash, beets, green beans, peas, corn to name some good ones.

did you burn a portable fire pit inside the hot tent?

Offline Kalvik

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion for supper meals ?
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 09:36:38 PM »
This is what we used to take years ago (works best in deep cold):

Make beans, chili, whatever you like. Spread on a cookie sheet and freeze it solid outdoors. Bust it up with a hammer and put it in a small canvas (or plastic - I guess) bag. When you're ready for a meal, a bit of snow in a pot, throw in some chunks, put on the stove and ... voila!

We also used to make lots of doughnuts, and we used plenty of lard so they wouldn't freeze rock-hard.

For trail lunches, a Pilot biscuit, a piece of frozen (raw) arctic char and lots of well-sugared tea kept us going. Not everyone wants to go quite that "traditional", though!