View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: small power chainsaw?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline sito

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
small power chainsaw?
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:05:15 pm »
do you guys use lightweight power chain saw to cut wood?

The manual saw is alot of work for me and exhausting.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: small power chainsaw?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:14:04 pm »
some sure do!

Offline sito

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:37:19 pm »
some sure do!

what saw do you guys use? which brand ?

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:23 pm »
I was just about tempted to buy a Poulans at Can Tire before xmas on sale - but the reviews were not good.  Stihl puts on a sale a few times a year that includes a case and its a better name.

Be safe when you use these tools.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 07:06:49 pm »
I was just about tempted to buy a Poulans at Can Tire before xmas on sale - but the reviews were not good.  Stihl puts on a sale a few times a year that includes a case and its a better name.

Be safe when you use these tools.

I bought an electric one but the cable didn't reach.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Getoffthepaved36

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:20:41 pm »
For our away from home saw we have a small stiĺ that's light and powerful enough fur the jobs we use it For, and priced right for a saw from a saw shop not a big box store.

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:26:33 pm »
power chainsaw doesn't warm you , hand saw does.
 if you get exhausting, may be buy good saw. read  about cutting tools here, there are lots of good recommendation.
next question will be to bring power generator, electrical heater and sleep in motel nearby?

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 07:32:23 pm »
I think and that is just my opinion, that a guy, or lady for that matter should be able to process his her wood with a hand saw even if they choose to go with a power saw, the reason is chain saws ain't reliable, I ran saw fora living and ran saw for over 30 years, and let me tell you that they are not the most reliable thing out there, a new one ain't new for long lol. So let say you haul you gear in for a few km, a saw the lightest one run about 8lbs empty plus you need fuel and bar oil that is about 1kg/liter( a bit less, since that figure is for water and gas and oil is lighter than water... but you get the idea) Then you need tools cause the thing one day will decide to not start... And a file to sharpen the chain cause you will hit rocks, dirt, a nail in the log etc etc. You will also want to use ear protections, and maybe a pair of chaps.... Doesn't look to appealing to me to carry a chainsaw in the bush. I don't, never did other than car or truck camping and even then I usually use my hand saw and axe cause a good and sharp hand saw is no more work than a chainsaw... If you know how to use one and I'll tell you it's not a given, I know  Lot of people that have no clue of how to use a hand saw properly and efficiently!!

To get back to the chainsaw idea, if you don'T own a chainsaw and you never used one, I don'T think it's worth it as a tripping tool, if you have a wood stove in the house(or in your car) and that you want to do your own fire wood, that is an other story, but buying a chainsaw and all that goes with it for a few trips a year... I wouldn't do it!

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 07:34:22 pm »
 if you get exhausting, may be buy good saw. read  about cutting tools here, there are lots of good recommendation.
next question will be to bring power generator, electrical heater and sleep in motel nearby?

Damn it Kiggy we will never agree on things look like.... Come with me in the bush for a load of fire wood and I bet you'll be warm by the time we are done ;D But not as warm than with a hand saw that is for sure!! hahahaha

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:29:05 pm »
I bought an electric one but the cable didn't reach.

Hhahaah best thing I read all day!!!

Fine work. Fine work.

Marko

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:05:55 pm »

Damn it Kiggy we will never agree on things look like.... Come with me in the bush for a load of fire wood and I bet you'll be warm by the time we are done ;D But not as warm than with a hand saw that is for sure!! hahahaha
Lol, ok, ok, Have to agree with you, "not as"

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:36:06 pm »
Wood-gas-powered chain saw.  Fuel yer saw from the bush.  The ultimate solution!

Ahh.....a little heavy to person-haul on a toboggan.  But no problem if hauled on a wood-gas-powered snowmobile.....   ;)

Part 1 design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTTBi6-zuAY

Part 2 - start up for realz (ignition at the 3:20 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kKRjcE9Vnk

Unfortunately the liquid carburetor design could not adapt to the wood gas fuel feed for revving it to cutting speed.  But very promising for future refinements. 

I say we should buy stock in his company!  ;)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 09:48:55 pm »
 ::)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:56:57 pm »
Wood-gas-powered chain saw.  Fuel yer saw from the bush.  The ultimate solution!

Ahh.....a little heavy to person-haul on a toboggan.  But no problem if hauled on a wood-gas-powered snowmobile.....   ;)

Part 1 design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTTBi6-zuAY

Part 2 - start up for realz (ignition at the 3:20 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kKRjcE9Vnk

Unfortunately the liquid carburetor design could not adapt to the wood gas fuel feed for revving it to cutting speed.  But very promising for future refinements. 

I say we should buy stock in his company!  ;)

Not built by Doc Emmett Brown by any chance?
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 09:59:16 pm »
I'd only bring my Husqvarna if I was pulling my gear behind a sled. aside from the fuel, oil mix and bar oil, you'd need to bring files etc.. Otherwise, all manual, all day for me.