View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: small power chainsaw?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline TZBrown

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: small power chainsaw?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 08:07:58 PM »
TZBrown---wondering where you have seen that great little saw for $160? I ran a google search and the lowest price I found was $219 at WalMart. I did find a 14" saw for $137, but it doesn't look like it has the commercial rating of your saw.

I am looking for a small saw to use when I am hot tenting out of the back of my truck during the deer season. Please post a link. Thanks.

Not the same one as mine, a buddy bought this https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-4CC-10-PETROL-TOP-HANDLE-CHAINSAW-SCHEPPACH-CSP2540-/131786320304?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1  Made in Italy

Mine has a 7 year warranty, workmanship and defects, 5 year on ignition. I service my own stuff so probably would never use that. It worked very well last weekend and was recommended by 2 different tree trimmers I know, they are hard on equipment and use these exclusively for in tree work
Tanaka  is now owned by Hitachi
Life's A Journey
It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
My Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/TZBrown01

Offline walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 11:31:41 AM »
as long as you're not cutting old growth hardwoods, this should do the trick for short jaunts in the bush :)......please no hate mail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzOCOejtwM

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
Neat.

I wonder if the same battery pack could be used some how to power an ice auger?
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 11:48:24 AM »
as long as you're not cutting old growth hardwoods, this should do the trick for short jaunts in the bush :)......please no hate mail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzOCOejtwM

That thing is pretty awesome... The battery pack is a bit large lol, but they could use one with a large Lithiumion battery and you would be good to go for a few days....

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 02:32:55 PM »
I don't see any kind of protection for kickback. Contact something with the upper tip of the bar and that saw is going to get ripped out of your hand and land who knows where.

Contrary to what some believe, top handled saws aren't meant to be used one-handed either.
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Online rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »
TZ--Thanks, but I would want a saw like yours. Good warranty, and both Tanaka and Hitachi are reliable companies that have been around a long time. Plus, if the pros who use these every day and make their living with them favor a particular saw, those are people I listen to. My local small engine mechanic tells me what works and doesn't. He like Stihls, and says most of the other stuff that is not commercial grade will not last. If a company backs a saw with a 7 yr. warranty, they can't afford to sell junk.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 08:53:25 PM »
...Contrary to what some believe, top handled saws aren't meant to be used one-handed either.

yup and if they are, they're in the hands of arborists working at height who know what they're doing. a reg saw isn't practical in tree tops.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 11:27:26 PM »
...Contrary to what some believe, top handled saws aren't meant to be used one-handed either.

yup and if they are, they're in the hands of arborists working at height who know what they're doing. a reg saw isn't practical in tree tops.

We use regular saws all the time when tree topping or any kind of these type of jobs, did it for 5 years, but the guy I was working for has been at it for hell of a long time...

Offline Chicken Farmer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
I use this one.  It works very well and it's light enough to take along on most trips. Ive used it everywhere i go, especially in the winter.  I highly recommend it, especially if you find it on sale for $199.99CAD.  Mine came with an orange hard case, extra oil, and a hat for that price. 

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Chain-saws-and-pole-pruners/Gas-chain-saws-for-property-maintenance/2212-110/MS-170.aspx

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »
I use this one.  It works very well and it's light enough to take along on most trips. Ive used it everywhere i go, especially in the winter.  I highly recommend it, especially if you find it on sale for $199.99CAD.  Mine came with an orange hard case, extra oil, and a hat for that price. 

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Chain-saws-and-pole-pruners/Gas-chain-saws-for-property-maintenance/2212-110/MS-170.aspx

Never brought it in the bush but I have used this saw for trail maintence for several years.  When properly sharpened, it holds its own against larger, heavier saws, I think due to the thinner kerf.

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
I own a few saws. I have a Stihl 180 which I like for delimbing and trail cutting. you can get it on sale for $200 Cdn. If you shorten the rockers, it bites well and is small enough not to get pulled out of your hands. It  is small enough to be toteable camping.

However, it is prone to carbon build up in the exhaust. This means power loss after a while. Removing the screen and burning off the carbon solves the problem.