View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Full skins to ski base ratio  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Full skins to ski base ratio
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:48:32 am »
I'm looking for some advice/suggestions on what a good balance skin to ski base width to have for my trekking skis'. The skis are 22 cm wide and currently the skins are 12.5 cm wide. Right now I think this covers too much of the ski base. I'm thinking of  narrowing the skins down a bit. Does anyone i.e. you backcountry skiers out there, have any advice or opinions on what a good ratio of skin width to ski base for these trekking skis might be?
Mind you I only use these to haul a sled and bushwhacking on flat rolling terrain with an occasional glade run on small hills. I would not expect to remove the skins for any of these activities.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Full skins to ski base ratio
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:57:49 am »
Backcountry skier(alpine approach, yoyo skiing)  we cover the entire base of the ski cause when at the top the skins are removed for the downhill part... As for the flat land BC skis, I also use full width skins but only full width under foot meaning I don't shape the skin following the shape of the ski like we do on Tele or alpine touring set up!

If you look at he russian skis, the one with partial skins have only a narrow strip in the middle but the skis are longer than your design...

I would think that if you take 1/3off of yours you would still be alright, but the best way would be to trim a bit at the time and experiment until you took too much off and then you go back to the store and by a new set the right with hahaha

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:08:50 am »
I would think that if you take 1/3off of yours you would still be alright, but the best way would be to trim a bit at the time and experiment until you took too much off and then you go back to the store and by a new set the right with hahaha

Yeah, I was thinking like that...

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:39:37 pm »
I imagine the required area of skin depends partly on the loading of the ski. Ski's with a lot of surface area like these might require proportionally more skin than a smaller ski because the loading is lower on the bigger ski?

I point this out because I use very narrow skins on my skis, just over 1 cm wide, and they function very well.
http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=3827.msg34219#msg34219

In fact I just got back from a 4 hr bush ski and they performed flawlessly, good grip and just the right amount of glide for the bush. But I imagine such a narrow skin might not function as well on a big ski like this, because the loading is so low.

As was pointed out, the best way would be to progressively cut down a skin until you get the performance you want. 

Kinguq

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 08:57:19 pm »
Not sure about skins, I posted skins of mine before, they cover 1/3 as ADND mentioned, but I think your binding are mounted way back.
each time  you try to glide on deep snow it will make you to feel going up-hill

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:05:35 pm »
Not sure about skins, I posted skins of mine before, they cover 1/3 as ADND mentioned, but I think your binding are mounted way back.

Hey Kiggy, the bindings are mounted in the position recommended by the manufacturer. I cut the skins from 5" to 4" wide. I was out on them this afternoon and they performed really well... not in any deep snow but I'll be heading back out in some deeper snow in a couple of weeks.

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:28:12 pm »

Hey Kiggy, the bindings are mounted in the position recommended by the manufacturer. I cut the skins from 5" to 4" wide. I was out on them this afternoon and they performed really well... not in any deep snow but I'll be heading back out in some deeper snow in a couple of weeks.
Can you please remind me a brand of bindings? may be I need to review my knowledge of backcountry ski physics

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 08:07:57 am »
Kiggy, they are Flexi Plateau's bindings

Here are a couple of videos including how/where to mount them:

https://youtu.be/1kw5qaTI6Dg

https://youtu.be/-f-DOE2I7Gw

How to mount the bindings: https://youtu.be/7qttdCR6nPg

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:50:38 am »
One more point: for bush skiing (as opposed to up-down mountain skiing, which is a different matter) I have found it best to minimize the size of the skin on the ski. You don't need enough traction to climb super-steep slopes, and more skin than you need just slows you down and costs energy. I was shocked by how little skin I actually needed, i.e. a ca 1.3 cm wide skin the whole length of the ski.

So I think you might be surprised how much more you can cut off and still have the performance you require. That said, I have not used these super-wide skis so their performance with skins might be quite different than what I am used to.

Kinguq.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 11:00:45 am »
Kinuguq, are you hauling a sled with your skis as well? I'm thinking I'm going to cut another full inch off this afternoon and give it a try...why not eh... I only have a dozen or so good years left...

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 11:06:53 am »
I do use them for hauling a sled, yes. I also use them sled-free!

Using skins in the bush has really opened up skiing for me. Before I tried them I had pretty much given up on bushwhacking on skis in this sort of country.

Kinguq.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 11:50:04 am »
I do use them for hauling a sled, yes. I also use them sled-free!

Using skins in the bush has really opened up skiing for me. Before I tried them I had pretty much given up on bushwhacking on skis in this sort of country.

Kinguq.

Good to know thanks. I had given up on skis' period. With normal "narrow" skis' I found myself more often on my side, butt, or back in the snow. These wide skis have given me the needed stability for me to stay upright!

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »
Well I still prefer narrow skis. Each to his own I guess.

Kinguq.

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 10:17:11 am »
Kiggy, they are Flexi Plateau's bindings

Here are a couple of videos including how/where to mount them:

https://youtu.be/1kw5qaTI6Dg

https://youtu.be/-f-DOE2I7Gw

How to mount the bindings: https://youtu.be/7qttdCR6nPg
Thanks Kelly,
i thought the center of gravityof your skis will be closer to the forward. 

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 08:09:29 am »
Very late to this party.  I agree with others that narrow skins will be ok for bush skiing with the following exception.  If you try to traverse across a slope with this set up you will slide.  The purpose in having full with skins is not for up and down grip, but to have some traction while traversing when just the up hill edge of your ski is on the snow.