View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Snowmobile winter camping  (Read 11875 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Snowmobile winter camping
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 07:44:46 pm »
Sorry, it am certainly being unfair to the motorized contingency on here. Most of the winter impact I see is certainly from day trippers, folk just passing through and like you say almost no one will be staying out overnight. Who needs to camp when you have a space ship to take you there and back in a day?

Hopefully all these symposia and workshops will include something about the environmental impact of winter camping, particularly in araes that see relatively heavy use in summer as well as winter. Unfortunately governments are often way behind he curve with environmental regulation. Trying to clean up afterwards instead of taking preventative measures before damage is done.

Unfortunately motor boats are another thing altogether. There are a number of beautiful lakes here trashed by the motor in and camp crowd. A lot of them will camp just once a year or even less, leave garbage and poop back in the woods and head back home to tell their friends what great outdoors folk they are. The first portages doesn't seem to stop them. They haul in boats with sleds during the winter then abandon them when they get too old and begin to leak.

One thing to think about though. I used to hike up Scottish mountains until I got too old and fat. Should I now be allowed to drive my 4x4 up to the top?

I'm with you on all you said. Up here you can go where ever you damn wish with these machine and I have to say probably 99% of them they don't give a rats ass about anything other then them self and the fun they're having, same goes for quads,  Argos, and jet boats, they are al the same people that usually want more access to further places in a hurry cause they don't have time... They wreck trails, forest, river banks, delicate ecosystems no matter what they say, they mostly think the same way as the rest and certainly act the same. But there is a few out there that show respect.... But not many!!

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 07:49:04 pm »
BV- No. And if I get to the point where I am using a motorized sled to get in and out, it will not be to some pristine location populated by those who still can move by human power alone.

I have greatly struggled with the idea of using a snomobile, because at some point it means having to admit that I am getting older, and experiencing the physical decline that invariably comes with aging. Who ever wants to admit that? But, whether we all want to admit it or not, as Memaquay says, we will all be there some day.

I think there are ways to use motorized transport responsibly and ecologically. Trying to do that will limit options, but I accept those limitations and I will stay within carefully thought out boundaries that impose as little as possible on others.

There are too many people on the face of the earth already. Each of us, by simple virtue of living, leaves some impact, some way. Short of dying, there is no absolute way to stop the impact each of us has on the earth and its resources. I take steps to minimize my impact by recycling, not littering, participating in silent sports like snowshoeing, canoeing, mountain and snow biking, hiking, rowing, and simply walking instead of driving a car.

Bottom line is, we all have to make choices. Hopefully, the choices we make will not prevent others from making their own choices, because our choices preclude theirs.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 07:51:01 pm »
well said rbinhood!!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 07:55:55 pm »
Interesting discussion.  The best quote I read recently was on, of all things, Hard Core Sledders.  It read:

"Everyone wants to enjoy themselves but doesn’t want anyone else to. It’s getting ridiculous."

Agreed that when you use motorized equipment it is easier to bring stuff with you, its also easier to bring it back out.  It is the lack of education not the method of transport that causes the majority of the damage. 

Some areas, like Mantrario, should be non motorized.  Humans can't get along in a parking lot - why is the bush any different. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 07:56:11 pm »
Memaquay, that is one fine looking canoe! Beautiful craftsmanship.
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:51 pm »
They haul in boats with sleds during the winter then abandon them when they get too old and begin to leak.

One thing to think about though. I used to hike up Scottish mountains until I got too old and fat. Should I now be allowed to drive my 4x4 up to the top?

I agree with a lot of what you have pointed out BV. Here's a video related to your abandon boat statement. I was pretty disappointed on this trip: https://youtu.be/R4FY7eXxb6g

Regarding your Scottish mountains and 4 x 4: is it legal, i.e. sanctioned by the government, to drive up those Scottish Mountains? Is so, then go for it.

As I pointed out... here in the Adirondack Park there are motorized areas and non-motorized areas. I wouldn't think of driving my 4 x 4 or putting my 60 hp outboard on a lake in a non-motorized area. It seems to me that governments should/do try to provide designated areas by regulating the area for their citizens so that their citizens can experience and utilize these areas using a variety of transportation modes all the while trying to protect the environment to a degree... it's a balancing act for sure and most likely it's a loosing one at that...

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 08:48:46 pm »
I guess what we can all agree upon is enjoy yourself, think about others and don't be an A'hole.

Not saying humans are good at the second two but maybe that should be our goal in life.

Yes, in most cases it is legal as the vast majority of the land in the UK is private because the rich folks kicked the poor folk off so they could grow sheep and shoot the occasional deer and the poor folk all came to Canada. So as the rich folk make all the laws they can do what they want regardless of the moral or ethical implications of their actions.

Sorry, that was a very potted summary of the land use issues of the last three hundred years in the UK.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 08:57:28 pm »
Sorry, that was a very potted summary of the land use issues of the last three hundred years in the UK.

And similar to the land use issues in North America as well. A good listen or read:

This is so off topic!

So, I like the Skidoo Skandic WT...thoughts anyone?

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 09:02:50 pm »
I have watched some of the land use explanations on YT - You probably have a perspective on our crown land that many here may take for granted not knowing anything any different.

Bioguide:  Uncle bought an 08 last year for 8K.  Rides on top of the snow and as long as you keep it level and don't outdrive your abilities it will groom a track for the others.  When it does get stuck - its a beast to get unstuck. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 10:17:34 pm »
So, I like the Skidoo Skandic WT...thoughts anyone?
I spent five and a half hours on a skandic on Sunday grooming ski trails.  It was a 2013 550 wide track.  It has low gear and high gear and can pull a mighty load.  You sit up nice and high and it has hand warmers and all the bells and whistles.  It will be tough to get it stuck, but if you do.....good luck.  It's a big machine, and many commercial fishermen up here use them.

I was thinking of upgrading from my 97 tundra, but after breaking trail with it for miles the other day, I think I will stick with it.  It's really light, and really hard to get stuck.  You can throw it around really easy.  Once you get used to driving it, I think it's the perfect sled for winter camping.  Problem is they don't make those small sleds anymore.  The modern tundra is not similar to mine at all.  All those old sleds like the tundra, the bravo, if you can find one in good shape get it, shouldn't be more than 2 grand.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 10:26:58 pm »
+1 on Gearfreak's and Memaquay's comments on getting the Scandik unstuck. I looked at Scandiks before I bought my Tundra, and they are a heavy beast. I talked extensively with a friend of mine who is a retired conservation warden and spent a great deal of his time in Winter on a snowmobile. He owns two Tundras, and believes they are the ideal back country, ungroomed open trail sled. He owns a place in Ontario and he says he will go practically anywhere to ice fish on the Tundras, where other people on different sleds will get buried.

I buried a Honda 450 Rancher ATV in a big slush pocket two years ago while ice fishing. Two of us struggled for a long time, to the point of exhaustion, to get that Honda out of the slush. It is the last time I took the Honda out on the ice. You do not want to get anything big and heavy buried in deep slush. You must also understand that you are standing in that stuff while you are trying to get something unstuck, and even with high boots, one wrong step and you have boots full of ice water, or worse yet, you loose your footing and fall down in that stuff and get soaked from head to toe.
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:09 pm »
Thanks for the input.

rbinhood which Tundra, year model, do you own?

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 07:24:40 am »
Anyone that really wants to be a purist should walk to the destination. Those dang cars pollute a lot and the roads the require really messed up a lot of habitat. ;)

A Yamaha Bravo, long track, with ski skins is really tough to beat. They start really easily in any weather and will have no problem pulling camping gear. Not the most comfortable machine to ride but if you kneel on the bench it is fine. Good luck finding a good one around here for 2 grand. They are sought after. We had three of them. Now we have 2 and one for parts!

Tundras have a reverse which is great. But some Tundras are finicky to start. It's a carb thing. Knew a guy that had to make certain the nose of his was not pointing downhill when he parked. If it was, it wouldn't start.

The big machines are in a different class. I am semi shopping for a Skandic now. I want fan cooled. But 4 stroke or 2 stroke? The 4 strokes are VERY quiet. They sneak up on the dogs and I when we sled. But sometimes they are tough to start in the cold.

One thing about going out with one snow mobile. Never go further than you can walk. Because, if you do enough of it, one day you will walk.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 09:36:31 am »
Trapmusher--If it were me, I would go with 4 stroke. My Tundra is a 550 fan. Problem is the fan is on the side and blows crosswise over the two cylinders. The near cylinder runs cool, but the far cylinder runs hot. Guess which cylinder fried on my sled? Also, to get the two strokes to meet the emission standards, they run them very lean by using small jets in the carb. Too lean = HOT! If the carb jets get at all gummy, they shrink even more in size, causing the engine to burn up or scorch the cylinder. I did a lot of reading on Skidoo forums and learned these are common problems with the 550 2 strokes.
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline lifeintheround

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 11:04:18 am »
I use to have a Polaris 340 long track with a 12' komatik. It worked wonderfully. That sled wieghed less than a tundra and didnt have a jack shaft so there was less to go wrong. Wish I never sold it, but I didnt have the storage space at the time. Just because you have a motor doesn't mean you have to use it irresponsibly.