View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: what size stove  (Read 2119 times)

Offline tombaisley

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
what size stove
« on: January 19, 2018, 12:41:47 pm »
What size stove for an EXP Basecamp 10 x 13?

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: what size stove
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 12:51:13 pm »
I would suggest the biggest stove you can carry!! If weight and size is not an issue!! You can always shut the stove down or put less wood in it if it is too hot.... But when you need the heat then it's available!!

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:59:02 pm »
The smallest stove would be one just big enough to get the cooking done burning one pound of wood an hour.
Trying for a house, living room temperature, in a tent with only one thickness of fabric to stop heat loss, requires a large stove and lots of time spent cutting wood. It also depends on how much heat the stove sends up the chimney.
A stove that has an oven heated by the chimney shows that a lot of heat is expected to be going up the chimney.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:52:22 pm »
+1 to ANDN's advice. Go big, or go home.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:08:07 pm »
Big tent.

Are you man-hauling? If using a ski-do, take a 12-12-24 stove.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:49:02 pm »
Before you make your final decision...how are you travelling? (tobaggon, snow go), how many folks typically in the tent with you?, do you have access to good wood to cut where you expect to travel?, what are you expected temps?, travel mostly on lakes or breaking trail?, your expectation of stove usage and comfort levels?... like are you a base camper and day walker or skier or you really expect to push yourself on the trail?

In any case there are probably going to find that there is a larger and a smaller size stove (from what manufacturer?) that will give decent results, but you can fine tune it with your own answers from above and other folks suggestions. 

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:41:26 pm »
I have an 9.5x11 Snowtrekker and the medium stove - It does the job nicely.  I was in a prospector last winter with those sheepherder steel stoves Cabela's sells with the flat top - they are a lot heavier and kick out a lot more heat.  I was impressed.  but that is a car or sled hauled stove - not man hauled.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:19 pm »
That's a large tent, so a large stove would be a good choice. The largest stove that Snowtrekker sells is 12x12x24. Just what Dave Hadfield recommended.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:56 pm »
I have the same tent and went with the large stove (12 x 12 x 24)... I use the stove and tent mainly for a hunting base camp and I'll only put them on a toboggan in winter when my sons are hauling it otherwise I'm hauling it by motor boat.

Offline koivisto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 09:58:07 pm »
I have that tent and I use the Snowtrekker Large (Alaskan). Works great, although I've found the stove to be a bit finicky with regard to smoke. I like the bigger fire box for cooking. I can get coffee perking and a couple of pans cooking at the same time on it.

It is a lot to haul but I've got a group of 5 so I usually let the rest haul so I can relive them of the burden and demand supervision requires. ???

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 11:34:19 am »
A bigger stove also helps if you keep a burn going all night. more wood, more fuel, longer burn times so long as you can damp it down enough.

And also, I have seen stoves with a jet flame coming out of the end of the pipe when roaring, so lots does go out the chimney. A baffle helps this.
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Snowtrekker Tents

• Vendor - Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 10:37:49 am »
Sorry for such a very long delay- wow.  We rely on email and realize we need to log on here more often.  We recommend the large stove for a 10x13 tent
Again, sorry for a delay
Duane
Duane