View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Care and Break-In of New Leather Ski Boots?  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Care and Break-In of New Leather Ski Boots?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 09:33:51 pm »
Well I guess it depends on how much you enjoy your skiing and how steep the hills are, if you are skiing on the flat and the hills are not too steep then plastic boots are indeed a waste of money
I do not know the cost of all the options over there but here a good leather boot is not cheap. Track shoes are tho but you cannot tour here using track shoes so something like the old Scarpa Nortour [ now the Andrew Clout] at $440- or the Garmont LT at $360- and the Scarpa T2 at $800- isn't that great if you discount by the cost of the Intuition liner which cost $350- on their own Because with the lighter leather boots you really do need full coverage overgaiters and those thin neoprene liners and/or 2 pairs of thick socks
I found that the plastic boot with Intuition liners was warmer than a leather boot with insulated Supergaiters and insulated Supergaiters cost $300- a pair. It's line-ball really
Plastic boots have a shelf life of 10 years and a service life of ~400 hours of actual downhill skiing time, skiing on the flat doesn't place much stress on the components
I've never had a leather ski boot last 10 years and still be as stiff as they need to be for control on the downs; again if you never ski downhill this isn't a problem
Again less of a problem if only using a for a weekend, I tend to stay out for weeks at a time now that I am retired. May stay out all season this year now I have a new hip

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Care and Break-In of New Leather Ski Boots?
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 10:10:53 pm »
Thanks Kaifus, this is extremely helpful. It is interesting that the Crispi boots have not become more comfortable for you with use, and have had their own issues of breakdown with wear. Given that there is nowhere locally for me to try the Crispi boots on, I will likely end up with the Alpina Alaskas since I can try them on at MEC (assuming they provide a comfortable fit.

I hope I didn't talk you out of the Crispi's, they're ultimately probably the better boot. That problem I had with the plastic heel stiffeners wearing through could easily have been a manufacturing flaw that nobody else has to deal with and the boots never gave me blisters, its just at the end of the day my feet are more sore than they should be. Possibly my feet have more arch than normal and your feet would do fine in them, or maybe you won't be skiing for as many hours a day and they would be fine. Andrew Skurka chose these for his Alaska-Yukon Expedition and that says a lot right there. I would still take my failing Alpina's over my Crispi's for any future trip but some day I'd like to get a pair Antartica's.