View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Length of pull rope  (Read 1425 times)

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Length of pull rope
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:42:10 pm »
Hey all - I've been using a Paris sled/pulk for years, complete with PVC piping attached to a hip belt.  At this point I have a nice 10' traditionally built birch toboggan that we made for a Native American program I worked in about 10 years ago.  While the beetles ate our longhouse, the toboggan survived and I was lucky enough to get it.  While I think I would want to reinforce it a bit, I'm wondering how long should the hauling rope be?  I can make a tumpline easily enough but I don't know how much line I'll need.

So, is there a recommended length for this hauling line?  For the folks who pull toboggans, have you found an optimal length?  Or better yet, what works for you?  I'd appreciate any insights and information you can all provide based on your time out along the trail.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Offline Paul_the_Pike

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Length of pull rope
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:55:28 pm »
I have found the longer the better, unless of course you are in tight quarters or on a really curvy trail.

A longer rope will keep the sled pulling straighter, which is just basic geometry. It is also nice where you are dealing with dips, bumps, and steep bits of incline in the terrain. This helps in the sense that you can often avoid bearing the weight of the sled when walking up the incline yourself. The sled is still trailing behind on the flat until you clear the top, and then you are on the flat making it easier to pull the sled uphill.

I don't pull a toboggan much anymore, as that style of sled isn't well suited to the trips I do now, but when I did 15-20' of rope was really nice to have on the front end. It is also easier to pull up the slack and make a long rope short, then to make a short rope long!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:22:56 pm »
Snapper, my black river sleds have 100 inches of cord from the curl to the canvas trump-line. Hope this helps.

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 09:07:01 am »
77 inches for me. I had them longer but I prefer shorter leads, if it jumps out of my ski track and starts making its own its easier to get back on track and if it starts to run on an uneven keel after going over a hump or something it easier to straighten out.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 04:57:58 pm »
Longer is better. You can always shorten the rope on the trail with some knot work. Mine can come off fast and be used as a rescue rope.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 12:44:43 pm »
It's nice to use a thin nylon cord. That way there is stretch, and some give, with every step. It makes a large difference.

Make it fairly long -- it's a whole easier to shorten rope than to make it longer. You don't want any conflict with skis or long snowshoes. But you do want some up-pull on the front of the sled.

The best rig I've found for towing is a US Army surplus rig -- it's a wide waist belt with quick-disconnect, and a loop sewn on to go over the shoulders to stop it slipping down, with a tow-ring in the middle of the back of the waist to clip the carabineer to.

Here is a back view:

Notice it's worn under the anorak -- this helps a lot with ventilation.

And the poles help a lot when towing -- I only use them then.

Dave

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 12:48:55 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Mine haul line will be connected to the sled via some mini-carribiners and I'm familiar with the idea of shortening the length as needed.  It looks like there's a good variety of suggested lengths so I'll try the various approaches and find what works best.  I definitely appreciate all the information.  It's a great starting place for me to proceed from.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper