View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: neo over shoes  (Read 1936 times)

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
neo over shoes
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »

Offline Paul_the_Pike

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: neo over shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »
I've been wearing Neos for quite a few years, Navigators I believe.

There are a lot of positives, the main one to me is that they create a modular system. I can wear them over ski boots or winter hiking boots. This lets me wear a light and comfortable pair of boots in camp/tent, snowshoeing, etc. and still have heavy boots when needed. My packs have been sitting in the corner ever since I purchased them.

I've worn them to -40 degrees with light winter boots inside, feet always toasty warm. This combination feels much warmer than the -100 degree rating on my packs. They are also 20" tall at their maximum and 100% waterproof.

Tricky part is getting the sizing correct to fit your other footwear.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
Used them for over 15 years now. Insulated and non insulated, same for my wife and lot s of people up here! They are quite popular with mushers and xc skiers...

The insulated one is a better choice, they don'T seam to built up moisture as bad as the non insulated ones!

Offline JoDawg

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »
Got my first pair of Navigators a few weeks ago. Best winter foot wear purchase I've ever made. As per Paul fitting can be an issue but worth it. Very warm so far and the sole is great to for traction.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:34:20 AM »
I actually also picked up a pair in December.  I wear a size 13 boot and I believe I picked up the XXL insulated ones.  It snowed here last night (2"?) in NYC area.  I'm going to wear my school shoes inside them to work today. 

I do have a question thou, how does one keep falling snow out of your NEOS?   I'm used to wearing gaitors over my hikers. 

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:34 AM »
The overshoe is a thing of the past for the general public today. When I went to school everybody wore overshoes, like 4 or more buckle overshoes. I have had a pair of neos for 10 years, bought them when I first saw them in Mountain co-op. I bought a short pair which I regret. I have got a new tall pair new in the box waiting.
I was out by the bow river in Calgary and needed to cross a shallow place of open water but did not want wet feet. They have kept out the moisture from snow but I have never waded into water. I will test them next time for water proof.

Offline OBM

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 12:59:00 PM »
I'm on my second pair of Adventurers for camping and first pair of Travellers for city wear. Both are great. I use the Adventurers over mukluks, felt liners and light hikers. They are great in slush to keep my feet dry and warm.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 01:49:30 PM »
I've got Navigators and like them very much so far.  Can wear them over my mukluks, insulated hiking boots, or with just an extra felt liner and insoles.  Really happy to have something adding extra warmth to my mukluks and protection from slush.  Recommended. 

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 08:30:02 PM »
I actually also picked up a pair in December.  I wear a size 13 boot and I believe I picked up the XXL insulated ones.  It snowed here last night (2"?) in NYC area.  I'm going to wear my school shoes inside them to work today. 

I do have a question thou, how does one keep falling snow out of your NEOS?   I'm used to wearing gaitors over my hikers.

Just looked inside the sizing is xxxL     I do have a difficult time getting my hiking boots in them at times.  Thought about using a plastic bag over my hikers like in the old days with those firemen buckle boots.   

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 01:22:00 AM »
I just packed my Navigaotor in the bow bag of my toboggan. I make my own boots, but won't leave the car w/o these in reserve. Overflow sucks.
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline koivisto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
So what about moisture control? If you guys are leaving your pack boots at home how do you handle the double boots/overboots if you are out for days as far as drying goes?

Offline wsdstan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:54:08 AM »
I also have a pair of Neos Navigators.  I have used them over various boots with good results as far as warmth goes.  I have tried them with felt insoles and mesh insoles while wearing insulated boot liners.  The jury is still out on how well they work, at least for me.

They also have proven to be quite durable as well.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 02:44:22 PM »
So what about moisture control? If you guys are leaving your pack boots at home how do you handle the double boots/overboots if you are out for days as far as drying goes?
I haven't worn my Neos for such an extended time yet, but they do open up really, really wide, and you can fold the top parts down to really expose the foot area for drying, not to mention getting other boots inside.  My mukluks every night get the liners pulled and set on the wood pile near the stove to dry, and I put a pair of 3 foot sticks upright in the snow behind the wood pile and stick the outer boots upside down on them to dry.  Again, when the canvas is dry its folded up to help expose the foot area to hot dry air.  I go to bed every night with dry boots ready for the morning. 
IMG_3717 by jwallenmn, on Flickr  IMG_3692 copy by jwallenmn, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:59:31 PM by Jawax »

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »
last picture is luxury of winter camping

Offline koivisto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »
Jawax,
...A good drink while drying boots.. I like it!