View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Decorative ribbon?  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Decorative ribbon?
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:52:02 pm »
Suggestions on where to purchase decorative ribbon that folks sew onto their anoraks.  Saw one on google just like my Swedish one, looks sweet.  I'm thinking that's a nice easy beginning to start with.  Thanks.  I did a search here on "decorative ribbon" and some wonderful old posts came up but I didn't see where to purchase it from. 

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Decorative ribbon?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:18:45 pm »
EBay is your friend here Indian braids and ribbons are some of the best I have ever seen and cost is reasonable too.

Only recently did I realise that the decorative braid also has a very functional aspect, it reinforces the parts that take a lot of wear. I have my US army M-65 parka here and I was going to sew some decorative braid on the cuffs to make it look less military; I now think I will line the cuff with some soft fleece as well. I'll do this when I get around to unpicking some seams to replace/repair the elastic. Of course the alternative is fur; perhaps coyote tail??

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:11:58 pm »
I've used mostly Grosgrain ribbon. It's thicker and seemingly more durable. Lot's of google searching to find what I wanted. Lots of "cutesy" crap out there, but search time paid off.

Offline Boatman53

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:29:33 pm »
I just searched google for 'embroidered ribbon' and found quite a few I liked. You might just try a sewing store if there is one near by.
Jim

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 05:50:02 am »
I just searched google for 'embroidered ribbon' and found quite a few I liked. You might just try a sewing store if there is one near by.
Jim

Thanks Jim, my grandfather (from Da Bronx) used to come home with tons of fabric my mom said.  Garment center in the city was the hub of the coast.  Didn't think about going into the city. 

I guess there are those catchy google phrases that I need to type and search.   Appreciate the ideas folks.   

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 09:46:41 am »
If you want to get really funky check out the printed grosgrain on strapworks.com.

I think they can do custom printing as well; wintertrekking.com webbing anyone?
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 01:56:08 pm »
Coldfeet - I picked up my embroidered ribbon at JoAnn Fabrics.  My wife likes to visit their stores so I always wander around looking to see what kind of wool they have in stock.  One day I wandered off from the wool and found an aisle with all their ribbon.  There were some nice options so you might want to check them out.  If you don't have a store nearby you can always look at their website.

That's all for now.  Take care, best of luck in finding that "just right" touch and until next time....be well.

snapper

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:37:44 pm »
Found it, Native American trim and ribbon, whew, lots of nice colors. 

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 01:56:33 pm »
Best place I found was Etsy.com.  Like Mewolf said, there is a ton of cutesy crud, but if you are patient you will find better.  I remember searching jacquard ribbon with "native", "tribal", and "geometric", and eventually I found a distinctive one I really like.  Now on my mukluks, home made wool anorak, and dig heavy duty mittens.

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 08:27:36 pm »
Best place I found was Etsy.com.  Like Mewolf said, there is a ton of cutesy crud, but if you are patient you will find better.  I remember searching jacquard ribbon with "native", "tribal", and "geometric", and eventually I found a distinctive one I really like.  Now on my mukluks, home made wool anorak, and dig heavy duty mittens.

Thanks Jawax,  hopefully what I pick out will be good.  Will check out your suggestion also.  PS, my wool army blanket anorak started to rip at the neck.  I didn't know about a "gusset".   Didn't see that on the video, hope my sister can sew around the area.  Mittens sounds cool.   I'm looking at a cheap fur this saturday, crossing my fingers. 

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:40:57 pm »
you can add a gusset after the fact - not too hard - will prevent a repeat occurrence.

I had my daughter help me pick something at fabric land - local sewing store.  cheaper than online.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 11:28:34 pm »

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 02:26:39 pm »
Coldfeet - Adding a gusset shouldn't present any real issues; especially if the person doing it sews already.  If you're looking for a mitten pattern, I'd suggest you check out the one in the Conover book.  It's pretty simple and straightforward.  I made my pair out of some deerskin I had at home and then lined them with an inner, removable, fleece mitt from Wintergreen; picked them up years ago when out in Ely for a Boundary Waters trip.  I added some of the nice Nordic trim that I picked up at JoAnn Fabric around the base and, if I do say so myself, they look pretty sharp.  The biggest drawback is it doesn't usually get cold enough for me to want to wear them.

That's all for now.  If there's something I can do to help you with your mitts, just let me know.  Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 02:38:46 pm »
Snapper, Joanne fabric is near me also, picked up some colorful ribbon.  Thanks for everyones suggestions. 

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 03:24:44 pm »
Coldfeet - Will all this grand gear be ready in time for your big trip with Bioguide?  Can't wait to see all the photos.  Hope you guys have one heck of a good time and that the weather cooperates for you!

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...

be well.

snapper