View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Need 4 season tent  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Da_Xamper

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Need 4 season tent
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:56:44 pm »
Hey, looking for a 4 season tent, dont know much about this stuff, but im getting into camping more and more everyday, im looking to spend around 200-400$ on a tent, any suggestions on brands and stuff that would be good for this price, or even if you've got one youre looking to sell, lemme know, thanks

email [email protected] or post below

Offline lyndak

• View Profile
Re: Need 4 season tent
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:16:55 am »
Check out Eureka's Assault Outfitter.  It's a roomy 4 season tent.  We've been using ours for 4 or 5 years, specifically for winter camping.  Size wise I find it perfect for two people winter camping. 

LeBaron's has it for sale, less than $400.00

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp08/camping/eureka_alpinemeadows.pdf

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:44:10 am »
Do you really need a four-season? Most 4 season tents are heavy and bulky, and too claustrophobicfor summer use, If you use sheltered sites you may not need it. There are basically 3 things to watch for- snow load, wind load, and ventilation. A steep pitch and full fly will will help eliminate snow load- the snow will slide off and the full fly will keep it away from the tent body. A sheltered site combined with good poles and tiedowns will help with wind load, and duel vestibules or high low venting wil help a lot.
Before you buy, have the salesman set it up and take a good look at the tent, keeping in mind the points above, you may decide to spend your money on something you will be comfortable in year- round

Offline Da_Xamper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 05:03:51 pm »
ok, thanks, so if i dont need a 4 season, but a 3 season.... any info on that? I guess im not going to be int he open all the time, so yeah, i guess a 3 season would be better, im gonna be in the forest more i think, but sometimes in the mountains possibly... are 3 seasons okay for big windstorms and rainstorms though? im also thinking about doing the WCT (the west coast trail) late summer, and guessing i would need a pretty decent tent for that, but no a 4 season right?

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:33:42 pm »
If you're above the tree line, I would go for a four season. if not, sure a 3 would be fine. Most of the eureka, Jack wolfskin and MEC 3 season tents will take a moderate snow load with no problem.
Can you give more info on party size, intended use, how you plan to carry it, etc.
what I said above are generalizations, having no information about your intended use or location

Offline Da_Xamper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:07:03 pm »
well, im usually in treed areas, thinking about doing the west coast trail, and heard its really windy and rainy, but i am also thinking about doing some trips up mountains, like Mt Whimper, and its snowy up there, and not too many trees... and i want to be able to pack very lightly, im going to be doing lots of hiking with this tent, so i want it to be light... and also, ive slept in those tents that have that tent space, not sure if you know what i mean, its that part where the cover makes extra space where you keep your luggage and shoes, but not inside of the tent... lemme know if this is enough info... thanks

Offline Da_Xamper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:24:15 pm »
any help??

Offline Snowshoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 05:57:11 am »
how many people will this tent need to house?

Offline fingerlakeshiker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 02:19:37 pm »
I recently bought a Sierra omega tent which is advertised as a convertible 3 or 4 season tent. I set it up once in the yard but am waiting for this winter to see how it works out.