View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: crazy carpet sled  (Read 1733 times)

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
crazy carpet sled
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:58:49 pm »

Cross supports are cut down pieces of TV antenna tied on with shoe laces. The laces run down the center of each tube and tie to the carpet at grommets. The cross bars keep the carpet bottom flat when lashing is tightened to keep the load in place. Lashing is shoe laces looped from grommet to grommet and made tight with bungees.  I always take laces out of old shoes.
If I wanted runners I could attach them to the bottom with  screws and little brackets at each cross bar.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:57:00 pm by chimpac »

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: magic carpet sled
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 07:51:07 pm »
I made something similar several years ago. https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1356.msg10883#msg10883 Unfortunately all the photos have disappeared.

It worked but I found that, like all toboggans, it slid sideways as easily as forwards, which was very irritating on any sideslope. I have since found that this is a problem with all toboggans, and it is one of the reasons I prefer a pulk. I have seen toboggans with runners on the bottom, which presumably helps with the problem.

When I was in XC ski patrol we used to carry Krazy carpet rigged to attach to two skis, with which we could drag out a person if necessary. Worked well enough.

Kinguq.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: crazy carpet sled
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:56:09 pm »
One of our local chain outdoor stores imported thousands of these last year and they are now very heavilly discounted, to $5- each, they are not allowed to be used in any Australian Resort so really unsaleable.
 I have been thinking of buying a few with my $20- store credit to use a firewood puller. I can see a use for them tho for rucksack hauling up short steep sections, assuming you remembered to bring enough rated pulling cord
EDIT
I think the side slipping issue could be helped with a couple of aluminium angle skegs at the rear, if I buy any I'll do that and report back

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:07:06 am »
Not $5-
Marked down to $2.44 each; so I bought 4 sheets, had enough store credit left to buy grandson a new long john top. Never having made a sled of this type before;  about how far apart should I put the cross bars

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 09:15:47 am »
I can never remember to measure the space between bars that I used. A judgement has to be made about how close grommets should be to secure a load and if runners attached at each intersection of crossbar and runner will have enough strength. I spaced the bars so a shoelace used to secure the load could serve the ends (on the same side) of 3 crossbars. That is shoelace tied at each end and just passing through the middle grommet. I just pull the laces evenly tight and run  a bungee cord connecting all the laces from both sides on top of the load. When I get time I am going to attach runners with a bracket on top where each runner and crossbar intersect. I will lose the convenience of rolling up the carpet for storage.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:38:57 am by chimpac »