View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Mors Kochanski booklets  (Read 2847 times)

Offline jaunty

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Mors Kochanski booklets
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:24:38 pm »
Mors Kochanski is a lifelong, full-time student of outdoor living in the northern bush.  He's well known for the book Bushcraft, but has also produced a series of 32-page pocket booklets, priced at a few dollars each.  Of particular relevance to this site are:   

Basic Wilderness Survival in Cold Lacking Snow, and

Basic Wilderness Survival in Deep Snow,

of which the second presupposes knowledge of the first.  Each condenses a huge amount of information, experience and thought into a small package -- great value and cheap insurance. 

The two vendors that I know of are Karamat Wilderness Ways, in Alberta, and Ben's Backwoods, of Michigan.  Karamat charges a flat rate for shipping books, so you may wish to pick up a number of booklets, or throw in some of their other merchandise.  Ben's sells 4-booklet collections; you have to buy two sets to get both of the above booklets. 

http://www.karamat.com/books/pocket.html

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Categories?category=Videos+%26+Books%3AMors+Kochanski

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Mors Kochanski booklets
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:31:17 pm »
Hello Jaunty:  Thanks for the info.  I recently ordered his book entitled "Bush Craft."  I may order the pocket booklets as well.

Thanks,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline jaunty

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Mors Kochanski booklets
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:41:53 am »
Cousin Pete:  I'm only familiar with the earlier edition of his book, entitled Northern Bushcraft.  Some of the material in the booklets may be covered in Bushcraft, but then, as Kochanski intended, the booklets are small enough that you can carry them with you in a "ditch kit."