View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Two nights is better than none...  (Read 1437 times)

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Two nights is better than none...
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
Bio:

Watched the video. Very nice job of capturing your trip with coldfeet. The scenery was beautiful, especially the mountains in the background.

Wondering what kind of boot cleats you were wearing? They look like they grip the ice well.

The .22 Savage is a beautiful gun. They sure don't make them like that anymore.

I have a lever action Winchester .410, as well as a Savage Model 24 over and under .22//410 combo. The Model 24 is a bit on the heavy side, and would not be my first choice to carry if weight was a strong consideration. I also have the Henry AR-7 semi auto .22 survival rifle that is lightweight (3.5 lbs.), breaks down, and floats with everything stored in the waterproof stock. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »
Savage .22 with the extra finger rest on the back of the trigger guard ...

my grandmother had a very similar little rifle leaned up behind the kitchen door on the farm near Tisdale, Saskatchewan.

We kids were forbidden from touching it without Granny's supervision.

She would, on occasion, shoot from the back door and knock down grouse from the birch trees across the yard. As a kid at the dinner table, I thought my grandfather was just being a courteous husband when, as he served portions of grouse, he would extol Granny's marksmanship, "all head shot, as usual!" Granny would scold him for talking about such things at the dinner table.

After a long time not visiting the farm I went back as a young man to find that those birch trees were 75 ft away from the back door! Excellent shooting considering open sights and a short barrel.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 09:27:35 PM »
Old Guide, I don't know about the old brick Savage building.

rbinhood, the cleats are Khatoola's micro spikes: https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/ Well made and they really bite into the ice as you can hear in the video. Coldfeet had a pair as well and one of his tore away from the chain. They have a 2 year warranty so I suspect he'll end up getting it replaced. Maybe he'll chime in about that and how it happened.

The lever action Winchester .410, Packer? That is a beautiful gun...

Funny, I have the Henry AR-7 as well. It was one of my first purchases for a take along happenstance rifle but IMO it's too striped down for that and truly is a last resort survival piece so now it just stay's stowed at home.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 09:30:55 PM »
Savage .22 with the extra finger rest on the back of the trigger guard ...

my grandmother had a very similar little rifle leaned up behind the kitchen door on the farm near Tisdale, Saskatchewan.

We kids were forbidden from touching it without Granny's supervision.

She would, on occasion, shoot from the back door and knock down grouse from the birch trees across the yard. As a kid at the dinner table, I thought my grandfather was just being a courteous husband when, as he served portions of grouse, he would extol Granny's marksmanship, "all head shot, as usual!" Granny would scold him for talking about such things at the dinner table.

After a long time not visiting the farm I went back as a young man to find that those birch trees were 75 ft away from the back door! Excellent shooting considering open sights and a short barrel.

What a great memory Undersky; thanks for sharing that.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 10:29:28 PM »
I just saw the Henry makes a 410 lever action one

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »
Hello Bioguide:  Nice video.  Thanks for sharing. 
Hello  Undersky:  Very nice story about your grandmother and  her rifle.

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908