View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: WTB - Making the Attikamek Snowshoe by Henri Vaillancourt  (Read 342 times)

Offline AB_Winter

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
WTB - Making the Attikamek Snowshoe by Henri Vaillancourt
« on: March 02, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
I've tried to to order this book from Mr. Vaillancourt's website a few times in the last 6 months, but I haven't received a reply. If anyone has a copy that they are willing to sell, let me know.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile

Offline Heartwood

• View Profile
Re: WTB - Making the Attikamek Snowshoe by Henri Vaillancourt
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »
I had the same problem when I tried to order a copy from him.  Finally, I just called him and left a message.  He called back a few weeks later.  We had a nice chat, I bought the book over the phone, and he mailed it to me right away.  His phone number is listed on the bottom of the webpage for the book at this web address:

http://www.birchbarkcanoe.net/books.htm

It's a great book and well worth the price if you are interested in the traditional native methods of making snowshoes.  If you are just wanting to make a pair for the first time though, and ease of manufacture is more important to you than tradition, then I would recommend Gil Gilpatrick's "Building Wooden Snowshoes and Snowshoe Furniture" book, available at:

http://www.gilgilpatrick.com/snowshoe-furniture.html

Offline Old Guide

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
'ThriftBook's is another dependable seller and they have copies of Gil's books but none of Henri's right now.
TB sells new and used books.

Offline AB_Winter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:23:50 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I have Gil Gilpatrick's book. I was just looking to make something a little fancier this time. It's nice to know about the Bookfinder option. WIth our low canadian dollar, it will be about $160 to get a copy from there.

Heartwood, Thanks for sharing your experience. I called the number on the website and left a message. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon.

I would still be interested in buying a used copy if anyone has one to sell.