View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Stove-Build, Pictures and Video  (Read 962 times)

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Stove-Build, Pictures and Video
« on: March 03, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
I was embarrassed a little while ago when someone referred to the article on my website about building a stove, and copied those ancient, 10kb pictures. So I've built a new one over the last couple of days, and documented it -- here in the digital age!

I'll update my website (once I figure out how to do something -- anything! -- in WordPress), and post the videos on YouTube (again, once I figure out how to use MovieMaker, and editing.)

Also, I have a book nearly written about bush gear, and stories/adventures, and this will be one of the chapters.

Screen-shot -- hence the stunned expression.

There are many construction photos.

Tomorrow I'll go fire it up and melt the zinc off.

And brew a cup of tea!

Dave

Offline FlatbowBC

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Stove-Build, Pictures and Video
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
Very nice, tidy workmanship!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 05:11:36 PM »
I would read your book. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
Thanks!

Recently my wife, Robin, planned a vacation for us in Spain. We based ourselves in Medina Sidonia for 3 weeks. I viewed it as kind of a writer's-retreat, and was able to do a fair amount of writing.

But the wine and the day-trips (for sherry and port) were interesting! Distractions were everywhere!

My summers are very busy -- airplanes and boats. I'm also finishing an album of songs about aviation. But next winter, this book gets done.

Dave

Offline Kalvik

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »
Thanks!

Recently my wife, Robin, planned a vacation for us in Spain. We based ourselves in Medina Sidonia for 3 weeks. I viewed it as kind of a writer's-retreat, and was able to do a fair amount of writing.

But the wine and the day-trips (for sherry and port) were interesting! Distractions were everywhere!

My summers are very busy -- airplanes and boats. I'm also finishing an album of songs about aviation. But next winter, this book gets done.

Dave

Dave, be sure to let us know, when the time comes, where we can get the album and the book!

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 12:47:19 AM »
Nice!! I would definitely read that book!!

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
Test a new image hosting site, postimage.

Good, it works.

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »
Hello Dave:  Looking really good!  Please let us know when the book comes out.

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline Zelandonii

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 09:08:18 AM »
Great build Dave!!! That's great to hear that you'll be updating your old wood stove-build site too. I still remember using that site over 15yrs ago on my first build.

Your bush gear knowledge and winter camping experience was such a huge inspiration for me to get started on my winter adventures. I still remember the day you gave me a piece of typar sheet to use as a "ground tarp" on our way up north for one of our first winter trips. To this day, I still use that sheet :)