View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Murdering perfectly good bedding  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
Murdering perfectly good bedding
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:58:15 am »
Howdy Rabble,

Spring is here. I'm going to follow through on a long-planned project. OK, it's not a project, but it does save me lots of Cost Of Goods Sold.

We murder lots of blankets....hundreds of them. Every now and then, a customer would offer up their favorite colored, striped, or plaid bed cover for us to build their shirt or pullover. <Flash> The lightbulb turned on. OK, my wife got the idea. I begrudgingly accepted it. Offer a set time each Spring to build custom shirts with nice blankets (and not have to burn through your own).

That time is fast approaching. We'll have details, pricing, sizing, etc. available on our website and via download in late March. If you're interested, feel free to check in. Here's a little priming shot.

FYI, We can covert just about ANY blanket now that this monster is coming. It's a Pegasus 3216 5x5, a walking foot serger. Yup, 3/4" throw on the upper arm, heavy feed, laser eyeballs, etc.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:46:27 am by Kevinkinney »
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
Re: Murdering perfectly good bedding
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:58:23 pm »

A number of years ago I started buying HBC 4 point blankets, for just this purpose, although to make a Capote.  Even bought the book (yes there's a book) on collecting and identifying vintage HBC blankets.  I have three early '50's blankets, all are red with the black stripe.  I've never had the courage to cut one up.  Love my bwankies, my wife not so much.  Ah, the last sentence doesn't read quite as I intended, I was implying that she doesn't care for the blankets and I do love my wife, if you must know................

Perhaps I should order up some 16 oz. Gunn Tartan and have a shirt to match my Kilt !

Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:54:53 pm »

Perhaps I should order up some 16 oz. Gunn Tartan and have a shirt to match my Kilt !

Ken

So you're a Gunn. I used to work with a Gunn, back in the UK, he put me on to drinking Old Pultney single malt.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:04:29 am »
....I've got a little trouble converting tartan. Something in me feels it should be reserved for other things.

Offline Oldand Fat

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:56:14 pm »
Kevin
What are your sporrans made from?
Stay safe
Dave
“ We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” Stephen Hawking. 1942 - 2018

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 09:58:30 pm »
Road kill. No lie. Theses were two fox from a freezer. I learned a lot converting them.

Offline Oldand Fat

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 11:13:11 pm »
They sure will discourage crotch grabbers. 😇
Actually they look great.
Making the sporrans looks like fun project.
Dave
“ We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” Stephen Hawking. 1942 - 2018

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:53:15 am »
Nice Pictures. 
My Sporran was custom from L&M Highland in Nova Scotia - but just a simple black rabbit dress not a full mask. 

Agree Kevin - tartan and the Prince Charlie looks mighty smart.  But for casual a Jacobite or Ghillie shirt looks good if you go with a leather sporran.

You need to whip up some sashes for the ladies in matching tartan. I was going to post a link to the Kiltmaker I had make them but he doesn't show the image online anymore.  Not suggesting you wouldn't do it yourself - but for others visual benefit.  Did you order your material from Lochcarron?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 03:05:35 pm »

I have a vintage Argyle & Sutherland swinging six, if anyone is interested.  Fair condition, it's the plain one, not the Badger Face.

Perhaps we need a kilt section to the forum.

Anyone on xmarksthescot other than Kevin and I ?

Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 06:26:29 pm »
I've never understood why you buy blankets Kevin.
Wouldn't it be much cheaper to buy blanketing by the roll a 100 metres at a time?

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 07:58:53 pm »

I have a vintage Argyle & Sutherland swinging six, if anyone is interested.  Fair condition, it's the plain one, not the Badger Face.
Ken

Sorry - I was a Cameron and i don't miss the horsehair.  I hated how it curled if you forgot to hang it up promptly.  Nice item to have - family or collector? CDN or UK?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 04:43:43 pm »
Blanket material by the roll is hard to come by, unless you order a full run. I've chanced upon one roll waaay back. It was great.

We operate in the black. I intend to stay there.

Kevin