View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Continuous Camping Club (C3)  (Read 751 times)

Offline Bushtripper

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Continuous Camping Club (C3)
« on: March 09, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »
Hey Fellow Trekkers,

With the best season of the year slowly winding down with the warm winter weather we have had I was curious if anybody else other than me has joined the Continuous Camping Club?

What is C3? Its a informal bet I made 14 years ago with my fellow winter campers at the end of the winter season as to who could get a trip in every month without missing a month consecutively and see how long they could go without breaking the monthly trip rule.

The guidelines were simple.....a trip consists of a overnighter (minimum) in the bush (no back yards)  monthly. No missing a month or your out of the club. No shaming or punishment if you broke the chain of months.....you just could not claim to be in the C3 club anymore.

My trips have consisted of trek in cold tenting, snowmobile hot tenting, backpack hike in, bicycle trekking, ATV camping, canoe camping and motor boat camping.

It takes commitment and planning with some trips in really challenging weather with your back to the wall to not break the chain of months.

Being slightly OCD helps also. Feb was trip month 174 with a 9 day luxury basecamp sled in trip near Temagami.

My goal is to hit at least 200 months or die trying.

Any other C3 club member's out there??
BT

Life`s better in the bush

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Continuous Camping Club (C3)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
174?! Impressive.

I thought my, every month of the year for a year was good! In 2016 I did a backcountry (self propelled) trip in every month.

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »
In 2015, I camped in a tent every month of the year.  Add 2 months prior and 1 month following, I camped a total of 15 months in a row.  174 blows me away!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
My goal is to hit at least 200 months or die trying.

Congratulations.  I wonder about your marital and family status along with your career aspirations - but that is just because I am incredibly jealous.

Sincerely, good job on setting your goal and achieving it!  That is inspiring.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:18:40 PM »
I was kicked out of the house the day after my 19th birthday(rightly so), Dec. 5th 1979. Lived outside all that winter and work at the local ski area as a lift operator, plus the  following year+ in a tent of one form or another. I never counted the days or months. :) While I love the outdoors and camping I feel I did my time and work hard to sleep in my bed and keep the furnace fed.
The urge to camp isn't as strong in me like it once was.

Offline Bushtripper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. For some reason most friends and clients I discuss this camping obsession with just give me a strange look like I was dropped as a baby. Not being married with no kids helps a lot as every nickel I make seems to go into acquiring/maintaining my gear to camp my rear end off. A girl I was dating came over to my house and asked if I just moved in due to my lack of knick knacks and decorating......I replied "No been living here 7 years.....want to go camping?"

This site/members experience been excellent for information to help me get better at cold tenting, modify my Kni-Co stoves, and see what the next level "up" is in the game of cold and hot tent trekking.  Budgeting for a light weight hot tent and if I can hit some bonuses at work a 4 dog titanium stove (we can always dream).

Learning from others and applying your new bush craft skills is a big part of the enjoyment of living in the bush camping. I tore down my wall tent a day early last trip and went all Joe Robinet my last night sleeping under a open tarp on a cot. I had never done that before and was 20 feet from a set Lynx of tracks that had checked out my camp a day earlier. It reminded me I need to keep trying new ways to camp. The local mouse population got wind of me outside and were having a party all around let me tell you.

It actually been quite challenging at times to pull this off so far as trying to time the right weekend to go camp from life commitments/weather stand point with "having" to go the last week of a month that's running out is the hardest especially when the weather is horrible. As everybody knows...some trips are good, some trips are magic and some fight you every step of the way.

Trip 172 last Dec was a "fight you every step of the way" -34 basecamp 2k in/out cold trekking along the edge of the Moon River. Bad slush as -24 going in made it a nightmare pulling. The zipper on my coat/exponent stove and 2 headlamps failed. Forgot coffee. A cup of hot water is just not the same at sunrise getting the fire going again to warm up. Funny though those "arse kicking" trips seem to be the ones you remember best.

I do find getting older (57) that the cold is hitting me harder. Easily solved with a MasterCard though.....a Snow Trekker tent will be in my house by next Dec for sure. 

My only complaint with this site is its causing me a major flair up of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (really bad GAS) so the new house AC may have to wait a year or two. Or three.
BT

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 11:07:40 PM »
I think your fitting in quite nicely Bushtripper!  Yes, this site does cause a bit of dent in the wallet. 

I too suffer from bouts of GAS - and once you video your trips - more GAS! 

ps. We like pictures!  Lots of Pictures in the trip reports!  (it helps with the jealousy!) 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bushtripper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 11:29:01 PM »
Finally someone understands ......

I need to research the best way to post pictures here as I am not a experienced online person and a bit of a wally at that. I believe I saw that topic somewhere on this site.

Will figure it out and post some pics.

BT

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
That is one impressive record, Bushtripper.  Even more so when I saw that you're mainly a cold camper and just now have a Snowtrekker on your next year's list - wow.  That new tent will make it a lot easier I think.