View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Disintegration of my Atlas snowshoe bindings  (Read 590 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Disintegration of my Atlas snowshoe bindings
« on: March 17, 2018, 09:44:36 PM »
Last year I discovered to my dismay (at a winter trailhead) that my Atlas 8 snowshoe bindings had disintegrated. The rubbery plastic parts just broke into pieces.

Granted, they were over 20 years old but really, Hypalon bindings like LL Bean sells would not have done so. Luckily I had also brought my MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes and used them. Much better 'shoes anyway.

Is it worth buying new bindings from Atlas? I'll have to ask it they have changed their binding material.

Actually I far prefer the ease of use of backcountry skis with climbing skins than the "semi-potholing" I get with even the best snowshoes. But then I'm a skier so they should be easy for me.

Eric B.

Offline Stonehouse

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Disintegration of my Atlas snowshoe bindings
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I think it's worth another post because it might inform other forum members. Same thing happened to me. I put away my 90s vintage Atlas snowshoes last winter with the bindings fully functional and crack-free. When I went to get them out of the barn this year, one binding was completely cracked to the point of being useless. If you poke around online, you'll find it's a somewhat common occurrence. It has to be some sort of design flaw in the bindings, most likely the degradation of the plastic itself due to age and cold temps. I'm glad it happened in the barn: finding them that way did not inspire confidence in their reliability.

You CANNOT order replacement bindings from Atlas. The only option if you want to stick with factory parts is to send in your snowshoes to https://www.mtnsoles.com/atlas-snowshoe-repair/ for repair. I've heard they do good work, but at $75 plus shipping both ways, it's not cheap.

What did you end up doing with yours Eric? I decided to sink that repair money into a pair of traditional shoes. If I can fab up parts to replace the broken ones, my 90s-era Atlas 1033s will become backups. Alternately, if anyone has suggestions for bindings that would work with older Atlas shoes, I'm all ears.

[Btw, first post from a long-timer lurker. Thanks Hoop for opening the door to me!--love this community, I learn something new each visit, and I'm having a more fun in my first season of hot tenting than I ever did mountaineering and cold tenting. Kudos!]

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »
I loved my Salomon snowshoes, but, the plastic bindings cracked/broke last year. Yes, I did not even consider replacing them (if possible) since much of what is manufactured these days is not worth fixing. I love to fix it if possible, but, since the snowshoes are not even listed anymore I figured time to try another brand.

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
I had a similar experience with my snowshoes in that both the binding broke after many years and the company told me that only they could repair them at $75.00 plus shipping.  Long story short, I cannibalized some shoes I had and made "new" bindings for my shoes.

Just recently I was watching a YouTube video of Shug (of hammocking fame) talking about his snowshoes.  He showed the new bindings he'd put on them and I realized right away that they're very similar to the ratchet bindings that are typically found on Hok skis.  The beauty in them is that they appear to be very easy to attach to most snowshoes.  If you're interested, here's the link to the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAowA7Vlrio

Just a heads up, the binding website is in both French & English so you'll need to pick what works best for you.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper