View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Pulk Design  (Read 4883 times)

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Pulk Design
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:32:55 am »
I am thinking about making a pulk out 1/8" UHMWPE. Anyone have any suggestions, plans, etc? I know some on here have done it and just wondering in hindsight, if you did it again, would you do anything different? My Sportsman's Guide pulk works good, but is very heavy at about 35 lbs. If I could get rid of most of that weight, it might make the pulling a bit easier.

My Sportsmans Guide surplus pulk has J hooks for cross lashing the load. One end of these hooks looks like a J and the other end has an eye to pass a rope through.  In some of the photos here, I have seen people using the same hooks for lashing and I am wondering if anyone has a source? Thanks.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Snowbound

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Pulk Design
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 01:38:00 pm »
I've made and sold several like those shown here: https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=2862.msg36891#msg36891  Look to the bottom of the post for working pictures.  The weight comes in around 10-11 pounds.  I use #6 x 3/4" stainless screws and counter sinking isn't a problem.  You can make the wood sides pretty easy if don't try to get so fancy.  No need to steam bend, just cut strips and glue-up in some kind of form.

I've also made roll up toboggans out of 1/8".  They get a little floppy but still work fine, especially with a lighter load.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:08:56 pm »
Beautiful toboggans, but not exactly the direction I want to go. My concern is that wood introduces a maintenance issue because eventually all of that beautiful wood will have to be refinished. I am going more in the direction of something made entirely of plastic along the lines of some pulks I saw that I think Kaifus had on here.
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Mike B.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:05 am »
For the J hooks I used cheep metal dog leash clips with the spring metal tab.  Just take a pliers and twist the spring tab out and you have a J hook.

Mike
"You can pay me when you see me again Josie Wales"

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:46:15 am »
Here's the thread from when Kaifus built his.  https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=2309.0

He mentions plans and photos from AunNordDuNord, but I don't recall that thread.  I think those two are the guys to get feedback from. If I wanted a punk vs a toboggan, I'd certainly follow Kaifuses lead.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:10:09 pm »
Here's the thread from when Kaifus built his.  https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=2309.0

He mentions plans and photos from AunNordDuNord, but I don't recall that thread.  I think those two are the guys to get feedback from. If I wanted a punk vs a toboggan, I'd certainly follow Kaifuses lead.

Here is ANDN's sled post: https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=2161.msg17539#msg17539

Offline campcasey

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:21:16 pm »
I have built a few both Uhmw-pe  and hdpe, currently using a 1/8” 18” by 8’ uhmw-pe pulk I built.
Have posted diy on bushcraft USA forum, can’t seem to be able do pictures here, will answer questions though.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 02:57:00 pm »
Thanks for the links and information. If Kaifus reads this, wondering how wide the sheet was before you started bending the sides? Also, how tall are the sides? Distance between side cuts, front and rear, before bending the nose and rear up?

Still looking for a source for hooks like Kaifus has on his sled? I would prefer to use the same hooks, as opposed to leash clips, like an earlier poster suggested.
Henry David  Thoreau

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 06:10:46 pm »
Check out hudson4supplies.com they have all sorts of hooks and buckles
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 12:06:02 am »
Thanks BV, but no luck on that website.
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 07:09:11 am »
I’ve built three sleds so far, the last two were out of 1/6 inch UHMW (though it actually measured around 0.080”) which has proved to be quite durable. I used five inches on the sides of all of them, and the width of the last one I think is under one foot but it’s perfect for use with skis. The third one was identical to the second one but I reduced the width after using the second one a few years and seeing how it rode and believing I could narrow it up more. I used four inches between the notches at the front of all the sleds. The hooks are just round aluminum tent pegs that I bent into hooks similar to the US army sled we both have.  I’ll try to post some pictures and more info in the next few days.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 07:35:00 am »
Thanks, Kaifus. Did you mean 1/16"?
Henry David  Thoreau

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 10:51:24 am »
Looks like you'll be making them if you cant find anything on there that would work.

How about using a carabiner style clip or even one of those double gate Nite-Ize clips and taking the gate off?
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 02:55:14 pm »
Recently I bought two $20 Pelican sleds from the local hardware store (Canadian Tire), reinforced them a bit, and hitched them together.

They work great.

I don't like a pure toboggan, and have used a few. They slide sideways, accumulate snow which you have to pull all day, and there is always the full surface in contact with the snow.

I found that a ski-sled is better, if you pay attention to weight. This unit pulls easier than a HDPE toboggan, tested by me on level ground in 16" of soft unbroken snow, pulled by one person on snowshoes (no packed trail).

I would build this unit to weigh less these days, using lighter plywood, and cedar, and a plastic containment.

Dave

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 06:55:47 am »
Thanks, Kaifus. Did you mean 1/16"?

Yes, I meant 1/16 inch thick.