View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Will Steger's 2018 Barren Lands Expedition  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
Will Steger's 2018 Barren Lands Expedition
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »
For anyone interested, Arctic explorer Will Steger of Steger Wilderness Center in Ely Minnesota is currently on a solo 1000 mile 70 day trek from Northern SK to Baker Lake, Nunavut. It is a fascinating adventure in winter travel. You can follow his expedition through his audio dispatches and map location that he posts almost daily on the following website. Along with an audio blog, it also describes his methods of travel and gear. 

https://www.stegerwildernesscenter.org/category/expeditions/solo-2018/

"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Will Steger's 2018 Barren Lands Expedition
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 11:24:11 PM »
I've been following with interest.  Doing a long trek right about ice out is mpretty amazing.  I've been especially interested in what gear he brings.  His canoe/toboggan is a custome made Northstar canoe with runners and extra Kevlar.  He also has an Exoedition  sled for breaking up the load across portages..  Here is his hand written gear list - if you can read it!

http://www.startribune.com/from-extra-socks-to-satellite-phones-a-look-at-will-steger-s-gear-list/475560063/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:30:37 PM by Jawax »

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »
This is the Pulk Boat he's pulling.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »
Is that you with the boat, MeWolf?  Did you help make that fine looking pulkanoe?

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 11:32:10 PM »
Is that you with the boat, MeWolf?  Did you help make that fine looking pulkanoe?

It's my son. He works for Ted doing the same job I did 25 years ago when it was Bell Canoe. The pic is just before taking the boat down to Dan Cooke for the cover. I guess the Apple hit the roots of the tree.  8)

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 06:58:50 AM »
Thanks for the links, really interesting, and to be doing that at 73!

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
It is an amazing journey made possible by a lifetime of experience. His latest post (Day 11) expounds on Will's relationship to the Barren Lands and to the native people who live there. very interesting and not something that happens overnight.

mewolf1 - do happen to know how the skis are attached to the canoe and whether they are removable when used as a canoe?

-SL
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:14:39 PM »

mewolf1 - do happen to know how the skis are attached to the canoe and whether they are removable when used as a canoe?

-SL

I'll find out.

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »
It's a two piece system apparently. Metal tracks are bolted to the bottom of the hull and the skis slide on and off.
I have no details of the hardware itself.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »
I'm assuming that the ski system is the same use on dogsleds, QCR system if I recall form the past when I was a musher lol. https://www.coldspotfeeds.com/mushing/qcr-plastics.html

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
For anyone interested, as we come out of the winter season in the lower latitudes,  Arctic explorer Will Steger of Steger Wilderness Center in Ely Minnesota is currently continuing his solo trek through the central barrens of Canada. It is a fascinating adventure in winter travel. He describes spring in the barrens in his dispatches along with all the challenges facing travel and camping. As last year, you can follow his expedition through his audio dispatches and map location that he posts almost daily on the following website. Along with an audio blog. Will is an inspiration as I believe he is 74 this year. His skill level and lifetime of accumulated experience allows him to continue these long trips in very challenging conditions. Enjoy.

https://www.stegerwildernesscenter.org/2019/03/22/2019-barren-lands-solo/

-SW

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 09:44:57 PM »
Thanks, I followed along a year ago after you posted about it but forgot about it now.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »
Somehow I missed the start of this year's adventure.  Thanks for the reminder Slushwalker.