View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: We've all been there??? First timers...  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
We've all been there??? First timers...
« on: April 01, 2018, 06:48:13 PM »
I give them an A+ for getting out.

I'm not posting this to be negative or to bash them but watching this scared me... they head out without snowshoes, never having set up their tent before, never having set up their bow saw, nor had they ever used or know how to use their brand new Kni Co wood stove (they wondered why their tent was so smokey after lighting it for the first time!), not to mention how tipsy the stove was when opening the door at 15:06, and they wandered (getting "lost in deep snow") for 20 min just for a quart of water, they attempted to push over a standing dead tree (I was thinking the top was going to snap off first). I know we all have to start somewhere but usually it's at a much younger age with an experienced adult mentor and even after all that mentoring experience reading up about a new outdoor activity like winter camping, with the Snow Walker's Companion book, would be prudent before ones first time out.

Your thoughts?

https://youtu.be/6Rnsho6e_3k

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:11:25 PM by Bioguide »

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: We've all been there??? First timers...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »
Ah, the things we do when we are young and stupid.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:45:51 PM »
For their first time, I think these two did just fine. I think about my trip that I wrote about earlier this year and all of the things that went wrong, and I consider myself an experienced winter camper.

They learned a great deal on this first trip, and seemed to weather the problems with a smile and a good attitude. You crawl before you walk, you walk before you run, and you run before you fly.

I bet by their third trip they will have things dialed in pretty good. Given their age, they will then have a lifetime of great winter camping experiences to look forward to.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 12:11:33 AM »
I've been there.

They don't seem to be in any serious danger, they are having fun and learning, and they are not at home playing video games.  Good for them.  I hope they stick with it.  Maybe they should join the forum. 

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »
I'm with you Bioguide, all the info is out there and in todays time it is so easy to find the info!! Some people and we see lots of them up here every year that think they know better or don't think it is a big deal until shit hit the fan, maybe not the first time but when it does it is usually quite ugly. I could tell lots of stories  of stuff that happened every year up here summer and winter of people that think they can do it, but can'T and usually put others(rescuers) at risk in there stupid judgment!

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:43:02 AM »
Well done video work.  Their trip looked to have perfect conditions, so some poor techniques didn't hamper their good time overall. 

A backyard outing prior to this trip would have worked out some of the "start-up" issues they had.

Looks like they will be back out again.

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »
part of me wonders if they're taking the piss and having some fun. but yeah, who would NOT set up their tent and stove at least once BEFORE a trip ? liked the music though ;)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 05:53:02 PM »
Yes good on them for getting out.

Hoping however  that at some point they will try to sum up what they think they did wrong and what they plan on doing differently next time. Sure they may be learning something but are the folk who follow them able to spot where they are going wrong and not make the same mistakes themselves if they try winter camping?

At one point the he guy talks about having to cut down a log before he can have morning coffee and that is what winter camping is all about. So what is the learning point there that he should be sharing with his viewers?

Plus the axe work just makes me want to get the first aid kit ready!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 06:32:55 PM »
Part II is posted...

Oh my... they are lucky (in many ways) that they checked the spark arrester!

https://youtu.be/A3Bfcp0qidM

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 07:01:45 PM »
Part II is posted...

Oh my... they are lucky (in many ways) that they checked the spark arrester!

https://youtu.be/A3Bfcp0qidM

No kidding.  I don't think I've ever seen one quite that plugged.  I am surprised they didn't get smoked out of their tent with no draft.

Cheers

Brian

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 07:13:29 PM »
I'm going to be contrary and think they got extremely lucky. no tent pole, brand new stove and they never burned off the zinc on the pipes...also don't understand why (other than it makes good video) they chose to buck the log with the brand new axe vs using the saw. Maybe it's me but it seems like they deliberately made  it look like they're total newbs. I cld go on but I guess most of us would have consulted this site or if we were lucky enough, pick Craig MacDonald's brain when he worked in the Park ;)

fwiw, it was entertaining though lol

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 07:45:17 PM »
I'd agree, this video was the point of the trip, not the camping. Only watched the first few minutes but was that a drone shot in the opening? Video footage here is rather above what i'd expect from a first time camping trip. No idea how one could possibly set up all those shots, and do all the campwork, all in one afternoon without some sort of prior planning work. It occurred that a newb wouldn't have limbed the stand-in tent pole quite that carefully. Can't see it being quite -10 with all the bare-handed work setting the camp. But, if you wanted to make high quality video, you'd certainly pick a warm day for it.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »
Always interesting that people film them self and then even post it... and the people that leave comments say they are doing great...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:34:54 PM by HOOP »

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »
Their video skills far exceeded their winter camping skills. Makes me wonder a bit, how much of this was staged.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 09:28:30 PM »
Their video skills far exceeded their winter camping skills. Makes me wonder a bit, how much of this was staged.

Nothing suggests that having good video editing skills makes them an experienced winter camper.

I started a pole as I'm curious to see everyone's opinion. See the top of the thread to vote.