View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Source for UHMWPE  (Read 962 times)

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Source for UHMWPE
« on: April 04, 2018, 03:13:26 pm »
Looking online for a place to buy UHMWPE from at a reasonable price. I only found a few sites in the U.S., and the prices seem high ($150+ shipping for a 1/16" 4' x10' sheet). I tried to place an order, and the site wouldn't let me select shippping, I suspect because one sheet wasn't enough for them to mess with.

Anyone have a reasonable source that will ship?
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Source for UHMWPE
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 03:45:37 pm »
Sounds about right or maybe it can be found cheaper in the USA?

You should try to find a place that will cut to size before shipping, it will save a lot of money if they do that and then roll them.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:55:54 pm »
Where are you from? Johnston plastics in toronto are who I use. They will rip to width also making pickup in a small car easy
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 05:44:26 pm »
Hi Rbinhood,
Years ago, I found a a shop in my town selling 4x10 sheets of UHMWPE, by using the yellow pages under "industrial supply".  I phoned around, and pretty soon someone on the line will say "try such and such", and sure enough I tracked it down to an industrial supply shop on the list.  They had dozens of sheets! 

Although the 1/4 inch thick toboggan I made from it can half roll up inside my truck bed, a full 4x10 sheet is very stiff and not rolling!  It was very slippery getting it into a 6 foot pickup bed, and then trying to tie it in securely with 4 feet of it hanging out the back, because I could not roll the full sheet. Luckily it was a short drive back home with it on city streets, no highway.  On a highway it would be scary hanging out like that.  Many of us have roof racks on our vehicles, but I recommend NOT tying it to roof racks.  UHMWPE is very SLIPPERY, its going to act like a wing on a roof, and if it ever slipped out on the highway it could kill someone.  In a big sheet, I think it should be transported inside a truck bed.   :)

Also when handling a big sheet, wear work gloves. It slips very easily and the edge is often burred from the factory, and it could slice like a knife if it slips (Its going to slip).  At home its easy to take the sharp edge off, as its quite soft and easy to work with.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 07:49:51 pm »
Why not get the supplier to cut it? Solved a lot of problems for me. So long as the supplier will do it, get them to rip it for you.

Johnston in toronto will. Not sure about all of them
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline billybass

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 08:05:17 pm »
I bought some "Blue Iron"  form this place, they specialize in liners for industrial equipment.
http://www.superslide.com/

I gave them a call and they had rolls of 16" wide stock and cut me a piece to the length I wanted.  I think I paid about $65 for a 10' long piece shipped.  It was a little more expensive but I didnt need a whole sheet.