View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Which toboggan length?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Madtrapper

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Which toboggan length?
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:30:01 pm »
All,

Okay, this is likely a stupid question but I am new to some of this. I am looking to buy my first proper freight toboggan (uhmwpe). The common lengths I see for sale in Canada are 8' and 10'. I don't live in an area where I can see one of these freight toboggan in person. My situation is this, I have an atuk snowalker tent (10 x 14) and an Alaska Jr stove. I often snowshoe camp etc with my two kids (the oldest can pull some of her own gear). For a 3 night round trip backwood type adventure with two kids what size toboggan am I realistically looking at?

With the kids we rarely go more than a few kms a day. I am tired of my rinky-dink jury rigged home made rigging of a sled.

Is this a simple matter of buying the biggest freight toboggan I can afford to be the best plan?

Thanks,

Tim

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Which toboggan length?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:49:59 pm »
11' Snowwalker by Black River Sleds should be near perfect IMO: http://www.blackriversleds.com/index.php/snowshoe-toboggans

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:21:58 am »
All,

With the kids we rarely go more than a few kms a day. I am tired of my rinky-dink jury rigged home made rigging of a sled.

Possible first use of this particular combo in the history of the internet! my guess is with that sort of motivation you'll want the bigger unit. I got a 10' length and have never actually filled it all up, so the tail end just bends up behind the load and it's pretty much a 9' toboggan at that point. But if I ever wanted to pack a chainsaw or a guitar amp, I'd have the room.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:24:38 am »
At least ten. With eight you will find it tippy since you will have to pile gear higher. If you were camping with two always perhaps consider two eight footers or and eight and a ten. The extra two feet onna toboggan is hardly noticeable when pulling but very noticeable when you just have too much stuff to bring. If just one twn at least or eleven as stated
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Madtrapper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:40:50 am »
Okay thanks all for the links and the information. I will aim for an 11 footer.

Tim

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:04:06 am »
I agree with the idea of longer over shorter.  There is no perceptible downside to longer regarding extra drag, especially with UHMWPE.  The only downside I can think of to 10-11 vs shorter would be the longer ones take a little more effort to work around corners if following a packed trail on a curvy portage.  But then again, packing gear lower on a longer one means less tipping.  Generally IMO, longer is better. 

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 01:08:13 pm »
A word of caution.

How disciplined are you? It's not such a big issue if you are just hauling a few hundred yards from the parking lot but if you want to get a bit further you need to limit the weight of your gear. Having that extra space is very tempting  for some folk, they just can't resist the temptation to fill space, backpacks are the same. At some point you will encounter snow conditions that make you curse every non-essential ounce

You don't say how old your oldest child is but maybe look at buying/ making them a six ft toboggan, big enough to take the tent or stove and stick to a shorter toboggan yourself.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Madtrapper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:03:28 pm »
A word of caution.

How disciplined are you? It's not such a big issue if you are just hauling a few hundred yards from the parking lot but if you want to get a bit further you need to limit the weight of your gear. Having that extra space is very tempting  for some folk, they just can't resist the temptation to fill space, backpacks are the same. At some point you will encounter snow conditions that make you curse every non-essential ounce

You don't say how old your oldest child is but maybe look at buying/ making them a six ft toboggan, big enough to take the tent or stove and stick to a shorter toboggan yourself.

Good question. I am pretty disciplined. While new to freight hauling as such, I am an active Hunter and spend about 90 days a year in the back country. I learned as I aged that every ounce counts! :) I am pretty much a minimalist. I do like the idea of the kids hauling their own gear, thanks.