View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: waxing Hoks  (Read 711 times)

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
waxing Hoks
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:08:07 am »
I've never done it. I bought the spray and the brick of wax. I'm trying to avoid the massive wet snow build up under the foot. However, I don't want to impact my hill climbing.

Won't the wax prevent the hairs on the skins from working?

So ... how do I wax? Do I use the brick or the spray? Do I wax the entire ski or just the skins?

Thanks

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: waxing Hoks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:45:31 am »
is the wax you bought made for the skins? I've use some made by Voilé that is a rub on wax especially made for skins.

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:30:15 am »
I've got some Swix paste wax, like a can of shoe polish, and have rubbed it only on the tips and tails of my Hoks.  I've never rubbed it over the skin portion of the skis so can't say what would happen there but my guess is you would clog up the skins, making them less effective on the uphills.  I'm not going to experiment and find out as I like the performance I get with what I'm doing already.  No use messing it up in my opinion.  Of course, that also means I could lose out if it works but I'll stay with what I have.  Being old and slow, I don't need any more speed going downhill than I already build up as it is  ;D

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:40:57 am »
I use ski skins (not Hoks) and they do clog up when the temp is near 0 C.

I have some of the skin wax ANDN mentioned and that helps a bit. Just rub it on, preferably in a warm room as the wax gets too hard when it is cold. I am guessing it is basically just paraffin. It doesn't clog up the hairs and it wears off pretty fast.

Still, using skins around the freezing point can be problematic.

Kinguq.

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 02:02:38 pm »
is the wax you bought made for the skins? I've use some made by Voilé that is a rub on wax especially made for skins.
\
Yep. Well, it is made for ALL skins and not necessarily Hok skins. One is by Swix and the other Glop. The swix you spray, rub and let dry. The brick wax you just rub on.

i have snowshoes. skis and wax in the truck now. It is about +4 C. and i have a bushwack I must do. I think I'll make a decision once I get there. Snow is still almost crotch deep and it might not be a whole lot of fun. If I use the skis (which I would prefer) I'll have the brick wax in my pocket.

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 05:35:15 am »
Ended up using snowshoes. There was a good crust on wet snow. We only sank about 3 inches.

Saw 3 grouse, fresh moose tracks (it was sinking WAY down) and a skunk! There are small bare patches under the thick stuff on hills facing south, south east.

Offline Snow Treader

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 12:34:47 am »
I'm very interested in Hoks and their counterparts Black Diamond 'Glidelites'.  I did find some info at the Altai Ski website that maybe helpful: https://altaiskis.com/faqs/  :  Mostly the Hoks are fine to use as is. Conditions where you might have clumping or icing are the same as with all skis – new snow warming right around freezing. The best is to wax if you anticipate this being the case – i.e. before you are out there and the problem occurs. Our in shop treatment is to use Silicone spray from Napa auto parts. Spray the whole ski (base and skin), rubbing the silicone in side to side (NOT up and down). Let them sit until dry (maybe 30 min or less) then use. Swix F4 paste wax works well too, and is available through our website.  Hope this is helpful.