View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Separating layers of wool in a pullover  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Separating layers of wool in a pullover
« on: October 31, 2017, 10:39:38 pm »
I confess I think too much and sew too little \BUT!

I have some excellent woollen flannel here I want to use in a pullover parka and some other woollen blanket like stuff for an outer layer.
Insulation only as it is very loosely woven
I also have some lightweight polyester open mesh I bought to make long-johns from before I discovered Powerstretch
I was wondering if using the polyester mesh between the wool layers would work to stop the wool fibres from matting together and work to keep the two layers apart and thicker

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Separating layers of wool in a pullover
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:24 pm »
Sounds reasonable for sure.

How open is the weave of the mesh?

Matting likely won't be a problem unless there are parts of your garment that are going to be constantly under a lot of pressure. I'm thinking two prs of wool socks don't mat together much, do they?

Having the separating layer might be very good to keep the whole garment supple - to give it a "gentle hand" - allowing the two layers to easily slide past each other during use.

I figure any sewing project that gets done is fantastic - I, too, daydream a lot more than I actually sew. ;)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 01:20:00 am »
Actually it was woollen socks semi matting together that gave me this idea. both socks were the old rag-type and I had to peel them apart after one long hot day.
Mesh is like the stuff used in basketball shorts but much lighter, sort of like the lining of cheap gym wear, very much like.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:58:30 pm »
I had a bit of a play yesterday and I think using the polyester mesh will work Now all I need to do is get organised and find the pattern I need and the time to cut out and assemble

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:44:43 am »
I hope it sews well, MD55!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 12:57:59 am »
So do I :D
I keep finding small lots of wool fabric at Op-Shops, never quite enough to do a full garment, I just found a short length of some more flannel, just under a metre, that is enough tho to give an extra layer over the torso if I use a set-in sleeve rather than a raglan. Perhaps I can sew it to the raglan cut >? I don't know but there may not be enough to do that.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 05:54:50 pm »
So guess who just lucked into a full roll of double scrimmed Thinsulate?
Well almost a full roll, about 90 metres of it and the seller only wanted $30- for it
It is 76GSM type "U" and it is hard to believe that something only 2mm thick has a Clo value of 1.2 but I'm going to use this stuff between the layers of woollen fabrics. Best of both worlds possibly.
I hope to get a lot of the sewing jobs done while I am in recovery mode from next months hip replacement and not allowed to climb ladders or do any heavy lifting for a few weeks

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 02:33:03 am »
Well so much for doing any sewing while in recovery mode.
It seems all I have done for the last couple of months is read books and eat [ and rehab naturally] then we went on holiday and all I did was eat too much, drink too much and read books and nibble junk food.
Painting, I painted a couple of rooms.
We have been selling  lengths of the Thinsulate and The Boss wants to use it as thermal and acoustic insulation in the new curtains; I may not wind up with enough to use for a long parka but no matter. I do have a question on parka length tho.

I am making a 3 layer set of clothes for my intended traditional trip. Wool shirt, woollen pullover and a wool parka. Base layers and a wind shell too as part of the kit.
The Lightweight worsted shirt will be cut to tuck into the pants as is usual for me. and I was going to cut the pullover to come down to my crutch and the parka to come down to my knees. Have I got the lengths about right for a full set of clothing? I think so from my reading but naturally I am just a little unsure because I have recently found photos of traditional Inuit clothing that show caribou parkas a lot longer than this actually overlapping the tops of the mukluks.
Because the worsted blend fabric I lucked into, the big parka will now be 3 layers, the gabardine is windproof and using it will give me an extra 6 mm or so of dead air in the finished garment