View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wind shirts  (Read 519 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Wind shirts
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:13:54 PM »
Not a new idea really but coming back into the mainstream via the Ultralite hikers who demand the biggest bang for the lowest weight possible.
They used to be popular with older more cashed up bushwalkers when I was a kid for those times when the oilskins were too hot but the wind was cold
But a modern windshirt is so much lighter than the old cotton japara stuff that I now own a couple and sometime soon my beloved wife is helping me sew up another couple.
A modern windshirt isn't windproof, they are in fact merely wind resistant and the level of wind resistance can be chosen to perfectly match your level of activity.
Also a not inconsiderable bonus of using a windshirt is that depending on the fit a properly chosen wind barrier can add free insulation to your clothing system for a weight penalty no great than a hundred grams or so.
When working hard you produce so much metabolic heat that you need to get rid of the excess rapidly and usually I would have to strip off all but my base layer to be comfortable and when a breeze came up I would have to stop and add clothing; with the use of a windshirt all I need to do now is shut up the zipper and carry on.
Wind resistance can be chosen to suit the activity level too, a highly permeable fabric for very hard work and a less permeable fabric for when activity is lower.
My current windshirts are an Ultralight Featherweight smock from the UK company Montane which is almost totally windproof and more suitable for athletic pursuits such as mountain marathons and extreme running and has no hood and another UK item from military suppliers Arktis which is high permeable and offers very little wind resistance but this makes it highly suitable for extreme exertion such as sled hauling.
I plan to wear mine as an integral part of my layering system, over my winter base layer if I am wearing my Powerstretch or over my 100 weight fleece if I am wearing my very thin and light base layer. Wearing it like this is adds a free 5 to 7mm of free insulation when closed up and you do not take it off to add another warm top. Used like this a 100 gram nylon shell can be as warm as pile top weighing 4 or 5 times as much