View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: I may actually be buying a tent  (Read 2618 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: I may actually be buying a tent
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
Just wondering why you excluded the other tipi designs from folk like Seek Outside?

Don't bother with Amsteel, get the 3mm Glowline from Lawson equipment. Much easier to work with and the reflective line makes life a lot easier.

Anyway, look forward to seeing some trip photos.

Well designed pitches do not need any tie lines even in the nastiest wind. Tipis require many tie out lines to stay put in a bit of wind.

You have to be kidding right?????

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12:02 PM »

You have to be kidding right?????
[/quote]

https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1923.msg16168

Where do I put stake out support lines?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:18:32 PM by chimpac »

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 07:28:37 PM »
I can't go ahead and buy this tipi
It has almost everything I need but Hellesport give it a lousy 40 day life under out strong UV and at $200- for a UV treatment that needs replacing/redoing every 30 days of use it simply is not value for my needs.
Perhaps if Hellesport were using Silpoly and not urethane coated fabric it would be a different matter but I can't afford to void a factory warranty buy overcoating with diluted neutral silicon before using it for the first time either.
Back to square one and perhaps that REI Basecamp 6 after all.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 07:51:33 PM »
I can't go ahead and buy this tipi
It has almost everything I need but Hellesport give it a lousy 40 day life under out strong UV and at $200- for a UV treatment that needs replacing/redoing every 30 days of use it simply is not value for my needs.
Perhaps if Hellesport were using Silpoly and not urethane coated fabric it would be a different matter but I can't afford to void a factory warranty buy overcoating with diluted neutral silicon before using it for the first time either.
Back to square one and perhaps that REI Basecamp 6 after all.

Just get a Chimpac tent and stove and be done with it for the rest of your life! Chimpac sells them for a decent price but I don't know regarding shipping though...

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:31 PM »
Well the seller of the tent just came back with an offer of a clearance price. I am now very tempted as the new lower price would pay for lots of SolarProof or even a diluted silicon coating
New Clearance price may be as low as $1499-
Not buying a Chimpac set-up until I see on in the flash

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 04:19:08 AM »
Well I asked The Boss and she said OK so I just bought the big Helsport Varanger

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 05:49:25 AM »
Well I asked The Boss and she said OK so I just bought the big Helsport Varanger

Good for you! Lots of adventures and good times to come.

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 07:32:13 AM »
A question on stove use with tipis
Do people ever stabilise the flue to the centre pole?
Also the flue comes with a spark arrestor but no rain cap on the heat sheild, should I look at making a raincap? We get a lot of rain here when it isn't snowing madly and I should be able to make a decent raincap from a medium size tin can

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »
Worth checking over on the UK bushcraft sites. Those Scandinavian tipis are popular there. I have seen a sort of cage like device that sits at the peak and keeps the pipe centred.

Shame about the UV issue, that's why a lot of those tenst use a polycotton fabric.
How much does Solarproof sell for over there?. I think that will be easier than trying to coat with silicone and would add less weight.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 06:05:57 PM »
I googled the name of your new tipi and saw the complications of center pole and chimney with the fabric so close to the chimney.
One site had the chimney running inside a larger chimney. In most examples the top opening is going to let in a lot of rain.
They talk about protection from a red hot chimney and spark arrestors. How long will it take the industry to discover how to take the heat out before it gets to the chimney so there is never a red hot chimney or a need for a spark arrestor.
I have no problem staying dry with only one layer of fabric. It is all about air let in low and air out vents at eye level. Air can ducted to the center stove or just let in on the lower edge of the tarp.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:29:30 PM by chimpac »

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »
I've talked to the owner of the business who uses this tent a lot for his own trout fishing camps.
He says that the flue height is so great that most of the heat has gone into the tent and the steel temperature is reasonably low at the exit and that he has not had a problem himself with rain entry.
If removing extra heat from this flue turns out to be needed a stack robber is a simple and easy solution. Rain entry I can DIY or I could buy a rain cap from somewhere
I am excited about owning and using a new tent.
I am also sure that there will be a learning process with the LW stainless steel firebox and that I will need to get a few new tools to use with it

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 04:14:42 AM »
BV I buy my Solarproof from the UK via eBay. Much cheaper that way but about $30- small bottle of concentrate at full retail here.

The owner of that store sent me an email offering me another tent at half price too, a small Arctic tunnel with an extended vestibule
An older slightly smaller version of this one
https://www.helsport.no/fjellheimen-x-trem-camp

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 01:25:46 PM »
BV I buy my Solarproof from the UK via eBay. Much cheaper that way but about $30- small bottle of concentrate at full retail here.

The owner of that store sent me an email offering me another tent at half price too, a small Arctic tunnel with an extended vestibule
An older slightly smaller version of this one
https://www.helsport.no/fjellheimen-x-trem-camp
Just about anything is better than a tipi

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »
Chimpac you are sounding like a broken record. Lavvus and tipis are used for a reason and the Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and First Nations peoples are not stupid or without experience in bad weather.
All portable shelters are compromises, this one ticks most of my boxes and at a cost I could afford.
Please stop responding to my posts by beating your own drum.

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
Tipis were great for years ago when there was no stoves and chimneys. There is no need for a shelter to be so high unless you do not have a chimney and have to get the smoke out. Native people were a lot smarter than some modern campers who try to cook outside in the wind.
A flat tarp does the job better with more warm head room for each camper and no waste of material as the shape of a tipi does.