View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: I may actually be buying a tent  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: I may actually be buying a tent
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »
Tipis were great for years ago when there was no stoves and chimneys. There is no need for a shelter to be so high unless you do not have a chimney and have to get the smoke out. Native people were a lot smarter than some modern campers who try to cook outside in the wind.
A flat tarp does the job better with more warm head room for each camper and no waste of material as the shape of a tipi does.

Offline K.

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »
I like the idea of the flattop shelter for certain scenarios, where there may be few trees and plenty of wind to keep snowfall from accumulating, but in the event of a heavy snowfall without much wind, how do you keep the flattop from collapsing? With anything that's peaked it's a simple matter to punch the roof from the inside every now and then to dislodge the snow, but with a flattop I think you'd need to go outside and fetch if off with some manner of snow rake?

A giant tent plus stove for $1500? nice deal! re the pipe temperature and fabric there does seem to be reasonably good clearance at the peak ot the tipi, but I wouldn't rely on the notion of the stovepipe being sufficiently cool just because of some extra height... the average pipe temperature from top to bottom has a direct relationship to draft and stove performance, so it actually needs to stay pretty hot or the stove will not be working. To say otherwise is to veer towards the chimpac principle, which I still haven't figured out, but that's a whole separate storey. Quick update: my latest reading on stove pipe has hit the air-insulated vs air-cooled conundrum. I literally cannot find a clear statement about the principles behind these two diametrically opposed designs. I have only found the vaguest of hints that the air-cooled pipe may be associated with the modern zero-clearance fireplace design, which somehow burns hotter than a woodstove, while the air-insulated pipe is appropriate to woodstoves, which don't burn hot like an open fireplace due to the controlled air intake.  The implication is that with the super-hot burning zero-clearance fireplace (essentially matching the principle of the rocket stove with unlimited combustion air), it is necessary to keep a lid on the pipe temperature with some passive cooling. But that isn't to say the pipe is actually  being cooled down to the point where you could safely touch it! or is it? I've searched a lot of topics on the internet over the years without having to resort to an actual library with real books, but I have to say the principles of solid fuel heaters is one of the most confusing. Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:13:52 AM by K. »

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 06:40:39 PM »
200C between the bottom of the flue and the top is enough temperature differential to keep a good draft going.
My experience is that it is that last few centimetres of flue getting cold that is the cause of most of my stove problems. I think that is why Scandinavian lavvus have such short flue exposures above the peak, limiting the influence of wind and cold on that last few centimetres of flue.
 Which-ever way it works out I am excited by the prospect of being warm and cosy with plenty of height to stretch up and out when I rise from bed each morning

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 04:31:48 PM »
If you are serious about a cooler chimney and a hot cook top and cook bottom you go to a vertical not horizontal stove.
That is a stove with a separate inside combustion chamber and riser pipe.
So easy to make using tin cans.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:44:19 PM by chimpac »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:55 AM »
Tipis were great for years ago when there was no stoves and chimneys. There is no need for a shelter to be so high unless you do not have a chimney and have to get the smoke out. Native people were a lot smarter than some modern campers who try to cook outside in the wind.
A flat tarp does the job better with more warm head room for each camper and no waste of material as the shape of a tipi does.

I like that....

As for flat tarp and four poles that you can't stand in and vertical stove that you can only put the smallest of pot on.... Lets think about it for a minute or two, it makes lot of sense... For the one that like it!!!

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2018, 03:18:11 AM »
The 4 peg, 4 pole, chimney center pole shelter design works for any size shelter and stove, (sit on ground, chair or stand).

The sides of the shelter can be tight to the ground for winter or all sides raised for summer making it the most useful 4 season shelter design I have seen anywhere.

A horizontal stove can not accommodate a riser pipe required to drive the draft for an efficient stove with a chimney temperature near that of steam.

A vertical stove compared to a horizontal stove takes up less space, delivers more usable radiant heat, has a hotter cook top and bottom (broiler).

Why use stoves that  waste wood heat by sending the heat up the chimney or waste time trying to cook on a stove top that is not as hot as the chimney.

AunNordDuNord and Bioguide show me what you have got or what I can buy that is a better four season shelter with cookstove.

I will be watching for your suggestions
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:28:09 AM by chimpac »

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 06:58:01 AM »

AunNordDuNord and Bioguide show me what you have got or what I can buy that is a better four season shelter with cookstove.

With all due respect... I don't have to show you xxxx! My suggestion however would be for you to get on to beating a different drum. Diversity man, diversity.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 06:31:48 PM »
The 4 peg, 4 pole, chimney center pole shelter design works for any size shelter and stove, (sit on ground, chair or stand).

The sides of the shelter can be tight to the ground for winter or all sides raised for summer making it the most useful 4 season shelter design I have seen anywhere.

A horizontal stove can not accommodate a riser pipe required to drive the draft for an efficient stove with a chimney temperature near that of steam.

A vertical stove compared to a horizontal stove takes up less space, delivers more usable radiant heat, has a hotter cook top and bottom (broiler).

Why use stoves that  waste wood heat by sending the heat up the chimney or waste time trying to cook on a stove top that is not as hot as the chimney.

Everything is better than your design in my book... But I don't know squat about anything. In the same line as bioguide said, change the record.... The only post you post about is your system and how great it is and how bad everything else is... It's getting really old!!

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2018, 04:07:56 AM »
On a different note
Did I mention that I have got my touring tent for my trip?

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 09:04:12 PM »
On a different note
Did I mention that I have got my touring tent for my trip?

Post pictures of it.  We would love to see it.

Cheers

Brian

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »
Best I can do until Hoop can afford to self host

https://www.helsport.no/fjellheimen-x-trem-camp

I no longer trust picture hosting on the web