View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winters coming; 2018 - 2019 season  (Read 673 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Winters coming; 2018 - 2019 season
« on: May 26, 2018, 07:09:44 AM »
Most may have seen my previous winter prep videos and some my enjoy this most recent one.

Spring "Treeing" on an Adirondack Lake; four 18” rounds bucked, 3 splint & stacked, one left for a splitting round.

Treeing: similar to fishing in some respects i.e. you can do it from a boat while cruising a lake or ponds shoreline looking for “blow down” trees to process into fire wood. I do it almost every spring and find the time very enjoyable. It’s fairly labor intensive but you can control the labor to suit your personality and pace. The intent is to stash a stack of split wood for future camping needs. For me its winter camping. Doing it in the spring before the foliage has emerged provides unobstructed viewing 25 – 50 meters into the wooded shoreline to locate a downed tree. Bucking, splitting, and stacking it nearby is of no theft concern as once the leaves come out you cannot see 10 meters into the woods from a boat. Having it done in the spring also provides the necessary time for the wood to dry properly for better burning in the winter wood stove.

https://youtu.be/3QUM-U9hoMo

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Winters coming; 2018 - 2019 season
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »
I have  assembled off season wood supplies perhaps 5 times in my life and NOT ONCE have I ever gone back there to camp in the winter!  Also, that is a HUGE log!  I have found 3 -5" diameter to be most efficient for me to buck up.  Camped for  6 days near Teton Pass in Wyoming last winter.  Western wood is such a joy to work  with as it's always bone dry.  As to the importance of the wood gathering process, when I began winter camping 15 years ago or so we used to locate our tentsite based on aesthetics, water supply, etc, now we camp next to good firewood!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 08:33:45 AM »
I have never seen that bungie technique before, that is really really clever. Our Alpine Ash splits like that but I have always had a hard time getting the rounds to balance after the first cut> Tomorrow I am headed out to buy a couple of new strong bungie straps

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 12:54:28 PM »
I have never seen that bungie technique before, that is really really clever. Our Alpine Ash splits like that but I have always had a hard time getting the rounds to balance after the first cut> Tomorrow I am headed out to buy a couple of new strong bungie straps

Make sure you get a section of chain and use 1 bungee cord. Using the chain and one bungee cord together gives you the ability to adjust the tension around the round...

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »
Great job Kelly, That bungie tric for splitting wouldn't work a damn up here whit all the twisted knotty wood we have lol...

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »
I have  assembled off season wood supplies perhaps 5 times in my life and NOT ONCE have I ever gone back there to camp in the winter!  Also, that is a HUGE log!  I have found 3 -5" diameter to be most efficient for me to buck up.  Camped for  6 days near Teton Pass in Wyoming last winter.  Western wood is such a joy to work  with as it's always bone dry.  As to the importance of the wood gathering process, when I began winter camping 15 years ago or so we used to locate our tentsite based on aesthetics, water supply, etc, now we camp next to good firewood!

I use my stashes for both winter camping and during deer season. I usually have some left over each year and burn it the following year. It's a must do, IMO, here in the Adirondacks as we can't cut standing dead only downed and dead and that means downed and soaked wood. My 5' crosscut saw has no problem for this size or larger log. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to cut through a 20" diameter log... but that's continuous sawing and well... I take a couple of breaks during it. Cutting the larger sections makes for easier splitting as well since there tends to be less knots and more heart wood. Having these stashes I can locate my camp more for aesthetics especially now with my SnowDog as it'll only be a quick trip to the wood shed that will likely be on the other side of the bay.

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »
What did you use to cover your split wood pile??  Looked like bark?  How well does your wood dry and stay dry for use in the winter?

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 08:33:19 PM »
Yes I used the bark for now. I measured the moisture content and forgot to put it in the video. It averaged just above 30%. It'll drop down to between 15 - 20% by fall. I'll be back at least one more time maybe twice more to cut several more rounds in the next couple of weeks. This fall during hunting season I'll put some tar paper around the base to protect it from the snow.