View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Adapting the US Surplus binding to my broken Tubbs snowshoes  (Read 407 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
So the plastic bindings on my Tubbs Sierras have just disintegrated. I jury rigged a cord binding to get me back to the car but hauling a sled with 20 kilos of gear on it wasn't exactly fun, luckily it was only 10 kilometres.
No repairs are possible from Australia as neither of the authorised agents will do international repairs and the cost or postage is prohibitive anyway and they will not sell replacement parts.
I found a set of the US Army webbing snowshoe bindings at a relatively cheap price shipped
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151529849012?ViewItem=&item=151529849012
I'm wondering if anybody else has used these to replace a Tubbs binding system and could offer any advice

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Adapting the US Surplus binding to my broken Tubbs snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:06:18 PM »
Can't answer your query Moondog - but you got nothing to loose trying that or something similar.  maybe make a pair - just webbing and a buckle.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 06:53:39 AM »
I placed the order. I'd be happy to have a go but my machine will not sew this particular type of super-stiff webbing and I found soft webbing was useless on these Tubbs, cord wasn't any better but it got me back to the car eventually. Skis are my preferred mode of winter transport but sometimes a cramponed snowshoe is better for load hauling on our crusty icy snow.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:06:22 PM »
Well they just arrived. Well past the expected date of delivery [ eBay Global shipping is expensive and very very slow] and the units will fit but the damned ecking and lacing seems to have reached the end of its life.
I can buy decking here but I have no idea about side lacing materials for solid deck snowshoes. Can anybody recommend a substitute?