View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: a stove story  (Read 127 times)

Online trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
a stove story
« on: July 12, 2018, 07:10:26 PM »
I live on a river with the water flowing about 50 feet from my computer. A couple of springs back, Wifey and I saw a large, flat reddish object semi-submerged in the rocks by the rapids.

Fools still throw trash in the water and we correctly thought that this was one more object that had drifted down with the ice break up.

As the spring flood receded the object remained and I eventually went to retreive it just so the eye sore would be gone.

It turned out to be the cover/case of a Honda generator. I threw it by one of the sheds and the water eye sore became a yard eye sore. Wifey finally got fed up with it and asked why I was keeping it.

I said that I wanted to make a wood stove with it. She laughed.

I pounded the cover to form a squarish shape, cut the metal pieces to fit, added a few old stove parts I had, and took it all to my crafty neighbour who welds.

The result is a very cute stove. The stove lid fits over where the gas cover was. The stove door is where the exhaust was.

It isn't a great stove. It takes forever to heat up and forever to cool off. It has a baffle inside and it also had a double wall liner. I removed the liner because it just too too long to cool off. It also limited the amount of wood burning too much.

The stove it about 12 inches long and nearly as high off the ground. The stove pipes all fir inside the stove.

The feet are made from spikes and scrap. Notice the handle to carry it.

Thanks for watching.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: a stove story
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
I like re-use stories
 ;D

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:59:24 PM »
nice job on your project.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline K.

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:32:08 AM »
Was distracted by the canoe at first, don't think there's been quite a graphic like that on any boat I've ever seen. Anyway every time I see this stuff there's a passing moment of regret that I can't weld and don't really know anyone that does. These type of skills are just great to have or have access to.

Online trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:31:09 AM »
The canoe is an Esquif cargo. The pattern is both inside and outside the boat.

Offline Old Guide

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
Nice job.