View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: 1st Post and Sleeping bag Question!  (Read 374 times)

Offline Winter Medic

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
1st Post and Sleeping bag Question!
« on: August 09, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
Hello All!

This will be my 1st post here on Wintertrekking.com! Thanks to Hoop for getting me all squared away and all the information shared. I have read a great deal of the posts here and find the information very helpful so many thanks to you all!

A little about myself. I new into Wintercamping.  I started about three years ago after a a somewhat failed trip. I actually don’t like the term failed mostly because failure to me means I’m simply not  ready to move forward. I learn, adapt and over come. I learned a lot from that trip and continued to move forward. I’m from Pennsylvania and really dislike the heat of summer so winter camping has become my thing.

I am a Physican Assistant and started my career in medicine as a Paramedic. So i know how to work myway around a band aid. Sticky side out!  ;D

So moving onto my question with a little  Back info 1st. I will be taking a trip with our friends from Lure of the North this coming winter in Ontario.  I’m pretty sure that I have used up my alotted number of questions for Dave and it’s only August! ( I’m sure he wouldn’t agree as he has been extremely helpful, I can’t even begin to explain!). I am a cold sleeper which is part of the reason I enjoy hot tenting! So, I have a Big Agnes Storm King 0F/ -18C bag and Exped DownMat 9 bag. Dave recommends a bag ratated to about -20c. I  have used the Storm king down to about -10F and needed to vent.  With just being a few degrees away from the suggested rating and feeling warm to about -10F, I’m sure I will be fine however  I was a Boy Scout. So, I’d like to be ready for way colder temps down to at least -35 just Incase. I know that ratings don’t really mean a whole lot and I will be trying everything out before the trip.

I could buy a new sleeping bag and still may, likely from feathered friends. That would probably be the best option. Since I already have the Storm King  I was thinking about doing the two bag system. I don’t have a summer/ 3 season bag because I typically don’t camp during these times. So finally, onto my question... Which 3 season bag do you think will fit over top of my current Storm King bag with out compressing down and provide  additional warmth with out a great deal of added weight?
Have any of you tried this system with a Storm King before?

I though about doing a down quit however I like the idea of getting a bag that I can open up and throw over top or use in the spring/ fall. I figure that using an open bag will also allow me to almost cup the bottom of bag over the bottom of the Storm King. 

I have though about doing the other little things to add a few extra degrees to my current set up, bivys, liners, extra clothing, etc. I will also have a Freathered friends jacket with me  but I’d prefer to keep that as a last ditch option in severe cold.

Thanks to all in advance and I look forward to seeing you out on the trails!

Adam

Last details: Trying hard to give all the details!
I’m a side sleeper, and don’t move a lot once I’m out. 
225 lbs
5’10”
Storm King “0 Degree Bag”  (pre-2015 redesign)
Down Teck, 24.5 Oz Synthetic down 650.
 Ground Layers: Thermarest Z-lite 1st Layer, Exped DownMat 9, Storm King, then ?????
Time to get out into the cold!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: 1st Post and Sleeping bag Question!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »
Welcome to the forums and your promotion from lurker!

It sounds like a down quilt will get you by, but if you want to be good down to -35C that combo may not cut it.  I have a -28 north face and consider myself a medium sleeper and it is true to its reading.  I have stuffed a synthetic blanket (army poncho liner aka ranger blanket) inside when the temps got low and it helped fill up the bulk. 

It can get pretty chilly when the stove goes out and the temp go to ambient in our neck of the woods.  Follow Dave & Kie's advice for your trip and I am certain you will be good.

Sean

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »
Welcome Adam

As GearFreak has pointed out, you can add an insulated blanket/quite to your existing storm king sleeping bag to boost its temperature rating.  Usually in two bag systems, the overbag is a 40°F rated summer bag that is put on the outside of the heavier insulated inner bag.  With your existing 0F bag the two bag combo should give you a -40C rating.  I have a Wiggys 2 bag system that is rated to -40C and it works well for me.

The recommendation from Lure of the North for a -20C bag is already close to your 0°F/-18°C Storm King bag.  One easy way to get an insulated blanket is to find the Snugpak Jungle blanket on Amazon.ca (Usually about $55.00 canadian pesos).  It's reasonably light weight, synthetic insulation, and packs down rather small.  You'll find other uses for it other than winter camping. 

Dive on in to the content on the site.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, the natives are quite friendly and willing to help the new guy out that is getting into winter camping. 

I know I can't wait for the cooler temperatures to roll in.  It's been particularly hot and humid in Southern Ontario this summer.

Cheers

Brian

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:52:25 PM »
Sounds similar to all my own questions about sleeping bag performance.
I was going to use my UL down bag [ rated  at -4C ] and wear my down parka/pants to sleep in and boost the system rating with an Ultra Lite synthetic overbag and I did purchase a custom overbag from Nunatak for this purpose.
But I have been persuaded by the big single bag arguement and when I was offered a deep winter bag at a reasonable cost recently I bought it.
BTW -- Welcome to the forum also.
All these options work but when hauling gear on a sled I think the smart thing to do is keep the weight down as low as possible.
An overquilt is possible the cheaper option but adding loops to the sleeping bag and adding extra buttons to a parka to use it over the sleeping bag is an old method of boosting a sleeping bags rating if the bag is too tight to wear clothing inside it
Obviously making sure you are as fit and strong as possible is also very important; I seem to sleep much warmer when fit and active.
Interestingly I didn't find my new -40C bag any warmer at -8C than my UL summit bag because it is simply so huge that there is a lot of extra air space inside it to heat up and I kept losing warm air due to the bellow effect

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:56:17 PM »
In regards to Dave's answer of -20C (-4F), Lure of the North keeps their tent stoves going all night. ..........I would not be as concerned about my bag rating on one of their trips as I would if I were going solo. If something should happen when solo, you should have a sleep system (bags, bevy's, clothing, pads, etc) that would keep you alive and comfy at the coldest temps for the area in which you are camping.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »
In regards to Dave's answer of -20C (-4F), Lure of the North keeps their tent stoves going all night

That make the -20C answer make sense. Then I would just make sure I didn't have the coldest bag - then buddy always gets up to stoke the stove!   ;D
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Winter Medic

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »
Thanks for all the “warm” welcome and advise! I think I’m going to get a new bag, keep it simple. Either the Peregrine EX -25 Sleeping Bag or Ptarmigan EX -25 Sleeping Bag from FF. If I remember, I’ll post a trip report when I’m back!

Thanks again.

WM
Time to get out into the cold!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 02:20:54 AM »
So which model allows you to wear the most clothing inside it?
You did mention a down jacket from FF already and wearing extra clothing is a tested method of boosting sleeping warmth
That's how I finally decided on my own winter bag when offered one for a good [ cheap] price recently struggle with a 4 layer system or buy a big bag, I bought the big bag.
Not as versatile perhaps but a full kilo lighter
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:37:31 AM by Moondog55 »

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
Sorry to join the conversation late, and yes Adam, I do disagree that you've reached your question allotment, as I'm happy when I consider the benefits of the trip have started before the shoe hits the snow.  :)

Art has hit the nail on the head, that the recommendation is based on our practice of keeping the stoves running at night.  Its important to note though, I consider -20 C with a single closed cell foam pad to be the minimum bag rating required, and many people bring warmer bags and warmer pads, and I've never heard anyway complain their bag was too warm or their pad too comfortable!  Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering are popular, as are the Exped mats, though they still make me nervous around the boughs even after years of people bringing them successfully.

If for some reason we didn't have sufficient wood to keep the stoves going overnight (hasn't happened yet, thankfully) then -20 bags with supplemental clothing, would be adequate for safety and survival on the coldest nights, but wouldn't necessarily make for a comfortable night, or much sleep.  We supply -20 MEC Hybrid sleeping bags as our rental bags, so I have always used that bag myself, both because its value couldn't be beat, but also to ensure the bag we are supplying to guests is adequate.  Unfortunately they discontinued it this year, and I have yet to try out MEC's current low-cost (synthetic) winter bag, though I suspect it will fill the same role as the old hybrid. 

We've always tried to make winter camping accessible with a wide range of gear recommendations; if the FF bags fit within your budget, you won't be disappointed in having it along on trip.
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
I bought a Wiggy's bag a few years back rated to -60 (I sleep cold).  I was disappointed with it and the next year went and bought a Feathered Friends Snowy Owl.  It's overkill for most trips but when the temps dip down I never worry about sleeping cold.  They really do make good bags and the quality is top notch...