View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Hot Tent Sleeping Setup  (Read 1106 times)

Offline thehay95

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • chuyen nha
Hot Tent Sleeping Setup
« on: August 26, 2018, 03:36:12 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and just testing the waters out, so to speak!

I'm heading out on my first real backcountry winter camping on Family Day weekend. I've got quite a bit of summer camping and winter trekking experience. However, this is my first time camping out in a Hot Tent! We'll be renting a 6 person Arctic Bell Tent. I'm excited to try it out but I've got a few questions:

1) Is it recommended to use cots in hot tent? If cots are not an option for us, what are some alternatives for sleeping inside a hot tent?

2) Looking at some trip-logs on the site I've seen a few people cover the floor with pine boughs I'm guessing for comfort, insulation and protection from moist ground. We'll be camping in a provincial park where cutting live boughs is prohibited. What are some of the alternatives?

Hoping you guys can help out!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Hot Tent Sleeping Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 11:32:39 pm »
Welcome!

Yes - Cots in a hot tent are great!  Keep in mind that under your cot is air at ambient temperature so your sleeping pad is critical.

I have used tarps, with painters drop cloths over poly tarp - but it got messy and can be very slippery.  Snow on a poly tarp can be dangerous around a hot stove.  Not sure what your method of travel to your camp is - mechanized: - try an outdoor carpet over a tarp, human or dog - maybe a tarp and a wool blanket or similar.

We can use boughs when crown land camping in Ontario - but for the Parks in MB we use the blanket/tarp combo.       

Enjoy and have fun
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 01:26:40 pm »
Our group has used cots in the past and they work fine however I don't like the added weight to my sled. We are also not allowed to cut live trees where we camp so boughs are not an option. Unless slush is unavoidable we set up camp on the lake. We stomp down all the snow with our snowshoes and then setup the tent on the snow rather than the ice to prevent the house freezing to the ice. We do not use a floor of any kind however we to spread small sticks and twigs on the floor to help with slipping once the snow has melted and turned into ice. We do use a tarp under our sleeping area along with foam pads and exped downmats which work great for winter.

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:50:45 am »
As one who uses a Hammock to sleep in full time in every kinda of weather it is crucial to get the insulation correct underneath you or you will suffer....obviously same would apply to a cot. As Forse says " use a tarp under our sleeping area along with foam pads and exped downmats which work great for winter" is the best option whether on the ground or in a cot
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 03:58:26 pm »
Cots are good, as earlier posts have stated, sleeping pad is crucial. We are not allowed to cut live in the US also. i use Tyvek and wool blankets as floor material. It works well.

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 02:23:57 pm »
I think Lonelake meant that we are not allowed to cut live trees or to get boughs while in the BWCA, not the entire US.

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 03:17:54 pm »
Does that go for the whole superior national forest or just BWCA?