View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Is Coming.  (Read 240 times)

Offline Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Winter Is Coming.
« on: August 28, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »
First report of snow in the Rockies.  Mountain peaks are white.  Canmore and Banff reported snow fall as low as the highway level.  Frost warnings all over southern Alberta.  Single digit temperatures at night.  Soon.  Very soon.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Winter Is Coming.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »
First report of snow in the Rockies.  Mountain peaks are white.  Canmore and Banff reported snow fall as low as the highway level.  Frost warnings all over southern Alberta.  Single digit temperatures at night.  Soon.  Very soon.

I saw a few geese flying low over the house within the last few days!  Great timing - just about out of goose snack stix!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 07:39:35 PM »
Got a recipe you want to share?

Fields are not cut here so early season might not be so early.

I am banding ducks right now. It seems like the hatch was quite good and numbers are high. News on Greater snow geese and northern canadas isn't good. VERY low numbers concerning hatch year birds.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »
I just used the high mountain kit from cabelas.  70% goose 30% pork trim by weight.  I used mostly the legs and back with a couple of left over breasts that didn't get made into jerky.  I think I smoked them for about 3 hours...its written down somewhere but I can't recall where right now.  It was by temp anyway and I searched the net to get the instructions.  It took a bit of time at -25C to get the smoker up to temp. 

The dog goes bonkers when she smells them.

The fields around us either cut or being cut.  Saw a number of flocks coming to roost while playing golf today - gets the blood going.

Season opens Sat
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"